Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 02:49 PM

Scotland to back smoking ban

Scotland To Back Public Smoking Ban
Ministers are set to agree moves today to give the go-ahead for a ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in Scotland. First Minister Jack McConnell will announce the outcome of the cabinet's deliberations in a statement to the Scottish Parliament.A total ban is expected with fines of up to £3,600 for offenders.

The British Medical Association. the Royal College of Nursing, and the public sector union Unison has issued a joint appeal to Mr McConnell not to compromise on the legislation.

The BMA argues that smoking-related diseases kill 13,000 people a year in Scotland and account for 35,000 hospital admissions.

But the Scottish Licensed Trade Association warns that the move could trigger job losses.

It is against an all-out ban and is calling for a voluntary and phased approach which would also cover sports and social clubs.

Tory MSPs argue that an outright ban is not supported by 75% of the population.

"We feel the voluntary code has been working, can continue to work, and that criminalising smoking with an outright ban is not the best way forward," said a Tory spokesman
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Having seen various members of my family affect directly by smoking and by passive smoking I think it is time to ban it all over the UK !
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Here here, its horrid especially when you go out for a meal and some idiot insists on puffing away all the way through it, i used to smoke and would never have smoked whilst people were eating
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
I would never smoke when someone is eating ......
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2004, 07:06 PM
it was on the news tonight about bringing in on the spot fines for smokers caught smoking in pubs.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Its the only way cos the no smoking bits dont seem to be working when smoke just drifts through anyway
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2004, 07:15 PM
thats true Sally
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
apparently its official now, i am glad, but i do feel for smokers
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
im glad they did it. people should jus smoke in the freedom of thier own homes or outside. but in public enclosed spaces its not fair on those who dont smoke!

when i work in a restaurant, theres always one rude person who lights up right in the middle of it all. And i remmebr once someone lit up and the people next to em complained to us cos their children were coughing, but the bloke wouldnt stop smoking!!!
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

11-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Well I in Scotland and I cannot wait for this legislation to be passed. There is nothing worsse than going on a really good night out and going in to apub or club and having to cut the smoke atmosphere with a knife and having a touch of asthma it sometimes is a pain. Also at work we have a smoking canteen and the workers on certain shifts see it as their given right to spend at leat 1.5 hrs of everyday in there smoking!......and we do not get anymore breaks than we are supposed to get.

I am an ex-smoker and i am always getting told I am worse than a non smoker!
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »