Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I doubt there's many trainers out there who never say 'no', or its equivalent (ah-ah).

Where I draw the line is throwing water in a dog's face, pinning it down, rattle bottles and the likes - just so unnecessary
Or hanging a dog on national TV?

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
We could give her number to Tony!!
Ahahahahahaha!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am sure none of us look like each other expect

as for saying 'no'
Although I get the point I find in general that people havent moved away from saying 'no' yet to be saying yes too much

It seems that in general people tend to not train something and then keep telling the dog they are bad for not doing the thing they havent been trained to

Or they say 'no' in a really angry tone
I say 'no' to my dogs for example if they get the weaves wrong, but gently
If I am teaching anyone I get them to say something like 'try again' rather than 'NO!'

I dont see a problem with saying 'that isnt the thing I wanted you to do'

But its the getting angry cos the dog is 'stubborn' or 'doing it wrong to spite them'
I tend to say "wrong" to mine when training them something new and they aren't getting it right, and use "no" for occasions when they really are doing something I want them to stop doing immediately.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:54 AM
But it is not the WORD that is the issue. It is the TONE of the voice.

So is NO or WRONG used as a NRM (No reward marker) or an interruptor or as positive punishment (either in and of itself or as a predicator of something else) .............?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I tend to use OI!!!! rather than No. Because it`s easier to interrupt and refocus than to actually stop a dog doing something. Probably laziness, but wth....
I hope this doesn`t give weight to the `he knows he`s done wrong` brigade.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

So is NO or WRONG used as a NRM (No reward marker) or an interruptor or as positive punishment (either in and of itself or as a predicator of something else) .............?
Yes I agree, I say "ah ah" to interrupt, say, trying to jump on the furniture, but wouldn't use it as a NRM.

Actually, putting thought into it, I often just say the dogs name (in a happy tone) to get it's attention away from the unwanted behaviour and onto me?

I don't really bother with a NRM, actually? Is it really needed do you think?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:41 AM
It is impossible to be 100% positive in dog training, anyone claiming that their are "purely positive" is either untruthful or misunderstands the term.
I always took 'positive training' to mean positive reward and negative punishment. I try and minimise the punishment part but of course it still has to be there - often they are hand in hand

Yes exactly, and the words mean nothing to the dog until you teach them anyways

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I tend to use OI!!!! rather than No. Because it`s easier to interrupt and refocus than to actually stop a dog doing something. Probably laziness, but wth....
I hope this doesn`t give weight to the `he knows he`s done wrong` brigade.
lol I bet we have all used an emmergancy 'WTF are you just about to do' noise
I didnt take the time to think of a nice fluffy response for Mia when I saw her grinning up at me with a live power cable in her mouth!!

But in general I try and teach an 'interuptor' from Kikopup I use the kissy noise, like anything trained well it really does get a whiplash turn away from the stupid thing they were about to do
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:44 AM
My interruptor is "Excuse ME!"
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Yes I agree, I say "ah ah" to interrupt, say, trying to jump on the furniture, but wouldn't use it as a NRM.

Actually, putting thought into it, I often just say the dogs name (in a happy tone) to get it's attention away from the unwanted behaviour and onto me?

I don't really bother with a NRM, actually? Is it really needed do you think?
Plenty of people dont need them
I use it kinda more in clicker training cos I am way more vocal than you are supposed to be - giving them loads of feedback
'thats it, clever dogs, nearly there, oh you are so smart' when they are getting close to the click
and a quiet 'no' and I move away for a sec when the choice - for what I am looking for at the time - is wrong
Its not a 'punishment' because say for example I want the right paw on something and they give the left
'no' makes them try something different but dosent make the left paw less likely in the future - if that makes sense
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:49 AM
My interruptor is "Excuse ME!"
lol I like that
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >