Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Puppy Training Classes

Ok, so its been a good many years since I have attended training classes and it used to be that you would show up and pay a couple pounds on the door, if you missed a class then it wasn't the end of the world as the same techniques were repeated and praticed on a regular basis and once your dog had mastered them all they were allowed to move up a class which was commonly at a later time.

I have just got a new puppy and have started looking around for training classes and all I can seem to find is set 6 or 8 week courses often at extortionate prices payable in advance.

Is this the norm these days or do the above classes still exist? If anyone knows of any ran as above in Greater Manchester then suggestions would be welcome.

Can anyone also tell me what happens if your puppy completes the course but is still not yet ready to move up, do you have to pay to resit the course all over again?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Whereabouts are you in Manchester, can't remember. I go to a really good one on a Sunday in Bolton. You pay to join then it is £4 every week when you attend. You stay in Puppy until you pass the Puppy and then into Bronze and so on
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2015, 02:22 PM
The reason most are set courses these days is so that class numbers can be limited reliably. To work that way, the trainer needs to know how many will be turning up so that they can work out the correct pricing for the classes.

It is the most effective way to make sure that the owners benefit from the training on offer
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Whereabouts are you in Manchester, can't remember. I go to a really good one on a Sunday in Bolton. You pay to join then it is £4 every week when you attend. You stay in Puppy until you pass the Puppy and then into Bronze and so on
That sounds perfect. I'm in Stockport but I'm not completely averse to a bit of travelling. Unfortunately I work weekends and some weeks Wednesday can be my only day off so I am looking for evening classes really to fit around that.

ETA: I'll be doing ringcraft on Friday nights so there out too!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-03-2015, 02:51 PM
One of the trainers lives in Stockport, will ask her this Sunday, have had this lady recommended to me when looking for training classes in the Stockport area for one of my puppy owners http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/loc...r/janet-knight
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Thats much appreciated, thank you.