Our sister sites
sgt.ganda
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2015, 02:16 AM

Help - adjustment for a second dog

hi all,
(sorry for the bad english/grammar btw)

I have a 2 yo male maltese (bizkit) and last sunday i bring home a 3 mo female miniature dachshund, i named her "pickle", and now i'm in a bit of a pickle myself pls help.
  • bizkit's always been a picky eater (i got him when he was 5 mo). Tried scheduled feeding before with different brands of dry food/kibbles, wet food, boiled chicken, chicken liver, meat, egg, none of them worked, he even refused to eat the so called palatable supplements/medicine like nutri-plus gel, Vi-sorbits, drontal (i have to take him to the vet to get him to take the deworming pill).

i've tried to discipline him a number of times before; no treat for days to force him to eat his food but he endured and vomited yellowish water everytime i did that. So i gave up and i just let his food lying around (free feeding), and even then he rarely eat the food cos i can't resist his round eyes whenever he asked for treats...so basically he lives on treats and occasionally eat his food (royal canin). Now with pickle in the house (my new mini doxie), free feeding goes out the window cos she won't leave any food lying around, she'll gobble uneaten bizkit's food.

What should i do? some of the advices i read mostly say "separate the dogs on meal time" but it won't do since bizkit have irregular meal schedule (unless i separate them all the time).

• Is there any way to make the two of them to play together? the reason i got a second dog was so bizkit will have a friend whenever i'm not home.
    (to this day I still separate them whenever i'm not home). On the first day they met (sunday evening) bizkit drooled excessively (which i learned to be sign of anxiety) and they both sniffed each other's butt.

the next day bizkit's drooling stopped, pickle tried to play with him but he seemed to be ignoring/avoiding her.

the next day after that, both of them chased each other, at first i thought they were playing catch but then i saw a few times when pickle lay on her back with her tail tugged between her leg whenever bizkit catch her.

yesterday i saw bizkit tried to hump her i quickly shooed him and now he's back to ignoring/avoiding her.

is it gonna be like that forever or will they be getting along someday? what should i do?

(now i sound like i'm talking about a couple of teenager )

• does dachshund really have a distinct smell? i bathed pickle 2 days ago but soon the smell's came back i notice it usually takes about a week without taking a bath for bizkit (my maltese) to smell like that but only a day for my mini doxie

does it have something to do with her food? cos the breeder fed her rice and cheap kibbles I switch her food to royal canin when i took her

advice? thanks in advance
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2015, 03:00 AM
I'd have suggested a male. As Pickles matures, Bizkit is likely going to become obsessed with humping her. I say this because he's humping already. If Bizkit is not neutered, now may be the time to do so.

If the dogs constantly stink, the cause is likely dietary or environmental. Is there anything gross they can get into outside? Royal Canin is an okay food, but better foods can be found for better prices. Dachshunds are often prone to weight gain, you can't let Pickle eat his food.

She can be trained to leave his bowl alone, but it won't be easy. I've done it before and she is at an age where it's possible. You will need to be constantly watching. Keep his bowl always in the same spot. The key is to place his bowl in a room or area that she can be denied entry, the kitchen is a great place for this. Don't ever let her think it's okay to approach his bowl. Each time she does, retrieve her.

You can also add a "Leave it" command to help with this. I didn't add the command to this particular case because the key is for the dog to learn not to approach the bowl in the first place, not for me to have to stop him after he does. My dog learned fairly quickly to not enter a certain area of space and it has ceased all stealing.

Each time he'd go in the kitchen to steal cat food, I'd physically remove him. He'd try again and again... Only for it to fail time after time. After a while, he gave up... and then he got the praise and treat. He learned that entering this area just ends up in failure, but sitting outside of it means a possible treat.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2015, 03:27 AM
Yes you want to have both of them fixed. But I think part of it is letting them figure it out as long as there's no out and out fighting. Sophie is significantly older than Callie and after two years she still pushes him around...stealing his treat, pushing him out of laps etc. But he doesn't fight back so we just go with it. They eat on opposite ends of the kitchen. But Soph will still pick the meat from his dish and move to her own. We try to protect him when we can but I think they work out the pecking order on their own as well.
sgt.ganda
New Member!
Male 

06-03-2015, 04:07 AM
If Bizkit is not neutered, now may be the time to do so.
i plan to spay pickle when she's 6 mo (my vet's suggestion), but i can't bring myself to neuter bizkit
he's such a docile & obedient fluffy, I've read about risk where neutered dog would become lazy. Well, he likes humping his stuffed piggy doll and i'm OK with it. And about that incident when he tried to hump pickle, he never do it again after i shooed him that one time.

If the dogs constantly stink, the cause is likely dietary or environmental. Is there anything gross they can get into outside?
so the smell's not a normal/permanent condition? thank god!!! i was beginning to think that i have to live with the smell from now on.

she never leave the house yet, i plan to take them both for a walk tomorrow followed by another bath afterward.

if it's dietary (the breeder fed her substandard food), how long would it take to change after i change her food?
is there any food supplement to remove dog's body odor?
Royal Canin is an okay food, but better foods can be found for better prices.
unfortunately most pet shops here don't have better selection
Dachshunds are often prone to weight gain, you can't let Pickle eat his food.

She can be trained to leave his bowl alone, but it won't be easy. I've done it before and she is at an age where it's possible. You will need to be constantly watching. Keep his bowl always in the same spot. The key is to place his bowl in a room or area that she can be denied entry, the kitchen is a great place for this. Don't ever let her think it's okay to approach his bowl. Each time she does, retrieve her.
hmm, i'll try it, fingers crossed she's really different from bizkit, in 4 days she has managed to flip and damage more trash cans, bowls, and stuffed toys more than bizkit's done in 2 years

.....But I think part of it is letting them figure it out as long as there's no out and out fighting.
yeah, luckily both of them don't fight each other.
Sophie is significantly older than Callie and after two years she still pushes him around...stealing his treat, pushing him out of laps etc. But he doesn't fight back so we just go with it. They eat on opposite ends of the kitchen. But Soph will still pick the meat from his dish and move to her own. We try to protect him when we can but I think they work out the pecking order on their own as well.
that's exactly what happened with pickle and bizkit she pushed him around, tried to grab his food and bizkit won't fight back.
i feel sorry for him he's such a pampered dog and i feel like i've betrayed him for having a second dog

thanks for the advices guys.