Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SpringerLass
New Member!
Female 

04-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Increasing Aggression in ESS on reduced exercise

I used to frequent this forum years ago but left. I'm now at a dilemma and this is the only place I feel I could turn for a balanced opinion.

I have a 9 yr old male ESS who I've had since he was 8 weeks old. Over the years we've had some minor issues with resource guarding but nothing insurmountable. In the past 5 months he started becoming aggressive around 30 mins - an hour after coming back his walks. It appeared to be a pain response and x-rays have highlighted fairly significant hip dysplasia and related arthritis.

As part of the management of this we reduced exercise, introduced regular pain control, supplements and amended diet. Unfortunately this reduced exercise has made him almost 'wired' all evening and led to a lot of stealing of items, resource guarding and aggression. He hasn't bitten anyone (as yet) but will snap, snarl, growl, show teeth and I believe it's only by leaving the situation entirely we've avoided a bite.

To try and combat this we've tried to increase exercise to a point where there is no pain, increased mental activities, sniffing games etc. unfortunately there has been no improvement and things appear to be getting worse rather than better (more frequent bouts of aggression, generally seeming pretty unhappy and very unlike how he ever was).

The vet has suggested that should the behavioural issue become more and more prevalent, then it may be time to think of having him PTS. My Mum however is horrified at this suggestion and thinks we should try to rehome him to a family who are aware of his health/behavioural issues and who don't have children. (We have a 2 yr old son)

I don't know what to do. I adore my dog, he really is my best friend and I can't imagine having to actually make either decision but in discussion with my partner and from what the vet said I think we'd be more towards putting him to sleep than the uncertainty of rehoming a dog with degenerative heath issues and aggression. I was hoping people might be willing to give their honest opinion on this situation who aren't as emotionally involved in it.

I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Just a thought. Any chance you substitute swimming for his regular exercise? That should give full cardiovascular and psychological benefits of exercise without putting pressure on the joints.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Rehoming an older, health and behavioral problem riddled dog is both risky and difficult. If he's snarling and snapping, I'd not consider rehoming him. It's likely the new owners won't be able to handle the issue either. With a small child, I'd also not consider keeping him, either.

If he's in pain, lessening the pain via medication/supplements and mild exercise should help. Senility and mental issues exist in older dogs, and coupled with pain... they might be intensified. Maybe a behaviorist can help, but if my dog posed a threat to myself and my family like that, I'll be honest and say I'd euthanize.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2015, 10:53 PM
It would seem that given the details in your post and the problems that your pet has it would be sensible to consider euthanasia. In all honesty, passing him on would benefit neither the dog or humans involved. It truly sounds as if he is no longer enjoying life and it must be a trial for him and all concerned with his day to day keep and welfare. This is not a comment that has come lightly to me, for I know just how hard the final decision is to make. I really think that it is a case of, if you love him, let him go.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2015, 11:28 PM
So sorry to hear this.
I don't think you can rehome a dog in this state, it's not fair on new owners, or to the dog, who really won't respond well to the extra stress of losing the home and family he's always known.

It may be that you have to consider the option of euthanasia seriously, but I think you have a few things you can try yet.

Can I ask what pain meds your ESS is on? I was told by a dog behaviourist that some of the more commonly prescribed anti-inflamatories can cause aggression - in particular, Metacam.

When do you give him his pain meds? Could there be a dip in his level of pain-relief right at the time he's feeling it the most? Being tired, feeling cold, waking up after a snooze (particularly if that snooze was after exercise) all 'spike' arthritic pain. Evenings are often the worst time of day for arthritic pain because of this. The weather will also affect it - the wetter/stormer it is, the worse he'll feel! You might notice he improves when the weather starts warming up again.

Yumove has been enormously helpful,for my arthritic PON boy, but it takes about 2-3 months before you start to see improvements so be prepared for that. My PON needs higher doses of this during the winter.

It could partly be boredom/lack of exercise as you say, and you're doing the right thing with 'brain games', but don't overdo it. If he's in pain it may make it very difficult for him to concentrate or to be 'sociable' when you offer to play a game with him. His message might be, "leave me alone" when he is resource-guarding, ie, if he has it, you can't make him play a game with it!

Reduce his meal size if you haven't already, or switch to a 'seniors' or 'light' food. Maybe start feeding him more, but smaller meals, to make it easier on his digestion, and it will break up his day a bit more. If he's off his food, try a soft food - he may have pain in his jaw and a soft food can be easier to eat.

How about a dog pen where he can settle undisturbed but still move around enough to get comfortable? I mean a pen rather than a crate (or in addition to a crate). Make sure it's sturdy enough your child can't knock it over, wedging it with furniture if necessary, and in a place where he can still see you. Feed him in there and put his bed and toys in there. You don't want to 'banish him', more create a den he can retreat to. When he's in it, let him settle as he wants - don't pet him unless he asks you for a cuddle. If he's very sore you can hurt him without realizing just by patting or stroking over a sore point.

Try heat to soothe and relax him - one of those puppy-warmer pads you heat in the microwave before tucking into his bedding might help.

Esau sends sympathy licks to your boy - arthritis is no fun at all and with the weather being the way it has recently, everything is worse!
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2015, 11:38 PM
So sorry to hear of your situation. That must be so hard. As others have suggested, I would not recommend re-homing him, but obviously you know your dog best.

I hope you don't have to euthanize him, but I can also understand why that might be the best choice. Hopefully you can find a way to manage his pain (stronger pain meds) but I'm sure you've already tried. I liked the idea of trying to use swimming to tire him out, if possible.

I don't have much that will be helpful, just want to say I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2015, 11:55 PM
You could try Glucosomine and Chondroitin combined with green lipped mussel plus the pain relief.

Rehoming would seem out to me. The alternatives only you can decide, but the thing you must consider very seriously is how much of a danger he is especially to your toddler.

I really feel for you because the distress you are feeling must be unbearable <hugs>
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2015, 06:06 AM
As well as Glucosamine and Chondroitin I would also give Garlic and Fenugreek Tablets.

To calm him down I've found Skullcap and Valerian tablets or Valerian drops worked extremely well with one of my dogs when she was in pain and suffered panic attacks after an operation. You can order all the products online from Dorwest and none of them are expensive and can be used in conjunction with conventional medicine.

Another thing ... have you considered acapuncture which if I'm correct can be very beneficial for both dog's and humans with arthritis?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Springerlass I am inclined to agree with Gordon Mac on this sensitive problem. Let your dog have peace and in time you will too. Having had to help others with this problem I feel it is the best thing for you and your family.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Hello Springerlass , I feel very sad that you find yourself in this position.
It appeared to be a pain response and x-rays have highlighted fairly significant hip dysplasia and related arthritis.
By all means give the suggestions of medication and hydrotherapy a try (with the vets approval for the latter) they may help a little the arthritis but as the problem is structural I don't think they will eliminate the pain.
http://canine-hydrotherapy.org/find-a-centre.html

..then after seeing if there is any improvement I think you need to be honest with yourself about your dogs quality of life.

and things appear to be getting worse rather than better (more frequent bouts of aggression, generally seeming pretty unhappy and very unlike how he ever was).
When it gets to a point where a much loved dog has a poor quality of life there is a temptation to keep them going because we can not bear the thought of losing them I have done the same myself.
I think we owe it to our dogs not to let our hearts rule out heads.

I would not for one moment consider rehoming a dog with these issues, you would be adding to his stress levels by doing so and that would increase the risk of aggression.

Hugs....xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >