View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2015, 09:46 PM
He circles like a dog possessed digging and patting the cushion bit till he's happy. He drives the Boyf nuts and often gets told to lie down but you can tell when he's not satisfied and I do say there's no point interrupting him as he will just get up and start again

One of his fave toys was a treat cube (hard blue plastic thing). But that mysteriously went missing after he perfected the emptying of it by firing it off the skirting boards round the house. As his mum I could tune it out and watch television . Others could not.. Ahem....
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2015, 02:51 AM
It is certainly possible that the squeak was distressing your pup. Some dogs find it amusing, some find it close to dispatching prey, and some may just find it upsetting. My Laszlo never liked squeaky toys-- and he did once bring me a baby pigeon, which he'd carried in his mouth without harming it in the slightest. I think he heard it squeaking and brought it to me for help. It did not end well for the bird, and fortunately the mites with which it was completely infested didn't affect him, but yeah-- a distress call is a distress call.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2015, 01:15 PM
I think some dogs particularly those breeds with a prey drive for small animals can't understand where the 'small animal who is squeaking' comes from in some toys
The toy doesn't look or smell like prey but it is behaving like a distressed small animal.

As has already been mentioned some dogs (and puppies who still remember) equate the squeaking with a puppy maybe even one which is distressed and that can cause unsure behaviour signs to be exhibited.

Bitches experiencing a false pregnancy can also be disturbed by squeaky toys .
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Who knows - some dogs like this or that, some dogs hate them.

Mine decided that jumping on a squeaky/squawky/honking toy was fun. The more and the louder the noise, the more fun. Especially when the squeak/squark/honk made Mommy jump~.

Little One before her hated noisy toys, but then she was never really "into" toys.
ste71
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-01-2015, 10:52 AM
great thread! brightened my dav up!
what a cute pic lacey10!
dobermann was mt first dog incidentally. he was the best mutt! he wasnt so much a "chaser" but loved squeaky toys. *really* loved them lol
cheers all!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2