Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Oh so very proud of Dan! :)

OH was given Dan, a 5 year old black lab before xmas, from a fellow keeper. OH wasn't keen on him, as he didn't pick up and was a very nervous dog!

I moved back up with Ryan and decided Dan is worth it, I'll help him become the dog he can be!

We started on a lungeline, building up a relationship as he had iffy recalll, due to being let out of his kennel into a small garden, then back in 5 mins later, for the last 2 years! He was almost a bit overwhelmed I think, being in a big open field! When he had started listening etc to me, I was dropping the lungeline and letting him mooch about with all the other dogs, calling him back to me and treating him when he did! 2 months on, we are at the stage where he isn't on a lead at all, and runs happily with everyone, coming back to me to check in. The only thing I have to watch is when he goes off for the toilet. He likes to take himself away from me and the others to toilet, so I've got to be at the ready to call him before something takes his interest when he's done!

Today was the icing on the cake, he's never been interested in retrieving, but today I threw a puppy dummy when I was out with all the dogs and Dan went and got it! He did 5/6 dummy retrieves throughout the walk, I was truely amazed!
I took all the dogs back to kennels and took Dan back to the field with a hen pheasant the dogs pegged and a pigeon Ryan had shot, just to see what he made of them! He retrieved them both a couple of times! I left it on a good note, with a nice retrieve of the pheasant!

Such a lot achieved in 2 months, I couldn't be more proud! So much for the dog that everyone had written off! The next step is retrieving to hand, as he spits everything at my feet, but I've got time, patience and faith!

Sorry for the long rambly post but I'm such a proud canine mummy!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Everything is possible!

Well done!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Well Done to you and Dan You've worked hard with him, and now it's all paying off xx
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you!

I knew he was going to come right! Unlucky to the guy that gave him to us, he's missed out on a fantastic dog, and I'll make sure he know it!
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Thats brilliant Well done to you and Dan!
budster
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Well done to you and Dan and keep up the hard work
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 08:41 AM
awww well done
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Thank you!

I've not felt this good about my abilities with my dogs since I got Blade almost 2 years ago!

If things carry on with Dan as they are now, he'll be out on shoot days with me much sooner than I had anticipated!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:22 PM
What a lovely story, well done to you both.