Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Non Spayed Female with castrated Male

A question

Would bringing in a non spayed female to live with a castrated male trigger unwanted behaviour ?

I have been taking some advice on Toms aggression towards certain other dogs at times and one of the suggestions is that the trigger for this could have been that Bella was not spayed for the first week or so when she arrived. This may have confused him and triggered some protection type behaviour. I would be interested in any views on this one.

Many Thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Many males (entire or castrated) will exhibit resource guarding behaviour to many females (entire or spayed)
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Many males (entire or castrated) will exhibit resource guarding behaviour to many females (entire or spayed)
Can this be trained out though ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:48 AM
hmmm, I would be wary about saying "trained" and it also depends on the individual dog; with one of my dogs I could not allow my bitch to play unless I had him on the lead.................
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
hmmm, I would be wary about saying "trained" and it also depends on the individual dog; with one of my dogs I could not allow my bitch to play unless I had him on the lead.................
Ok maybe its something that can be managed with some expert advice, I am doing ok with him, its just being on high alert all the time on walks takes some of the pleasure out of it
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
A question

Would bringing in a non spayed female to live with a castrated male trigger unwanted behaviour ?

I have been taking some advice on Toms aggression towards certain other dogs at times and one of the suggestions is that the trigger for this could have been that Bella was not spayed for the first week or so when she arrived. This may have confused him and triggered some protection type behaviour. I would be interested in any views on this one.

Many Thanks
for only a week? id say not... although her being female may have something to do with it(rather than being spayed or not)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Not in my experience. Apart from the usual ones of resources and personalities.
The only problem would be if she was in season - I take it she`s not?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Flynn was castrated already when I brought Jessie into the mix and she was entire for a year before I had her done. Fortunately, although they are as thick as thieves, he doesnt resource guard her (neither does Jed but she's not his bitch anyway!)

I would say it's perhaps down to resource guarding but I wouldnt have thought her spaying situation would make a huge difference.