Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ive held onto dogs collars whilst ive waited for their owners to retrieve them. I do not grab at dogs collars though, i will firmly hold a collar of a out of control/dangerous/problem causing dog until the owner can get to the dog
Exactly what I do too.

I would be angry if someone had grabbed my dogs collar for no reason and started to drag my dog though.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
That's different. On the occasions I've held a strange dogs collar it's been because the owner has been chasing it round, trying to get it back and not succeeding and the dog has come to me for fusses. Having been in that situation myself I know I was grateful when someone just held on to my dog so I could get him.

When that does happen I don't just grab the collar. I'll stroke round the neck, touch the collar, move it slightly and if they didn't seem happy with that I'd back off. I wouldn't just grab at a collar out of the blue unless it were an emergency.

If a dog came charging up to mine I'd grab it if necessary and tough luck what the owner thinks I'm afraid. My priority is MY dog and a dog charging up to him is extremely frightening for him regardless of the dogs intentions.
I agree, Im lucky that ours don't give a brass monkey about other dogs if they are not in their gang they don't exist
But the situation I was thinking of was when mine went out on the drive and I said....they are OK they won't move off, and me saying ''stay close'' to them.....imagine my shock when this person grabbed hold of Skye's collar...and some scruff and dragged her back in..poor Skye didn't know what had hit her
On another time Tess was chasing a ball, and Pats saying ''fetch it here then'' as you do......next thing I knew she was grabbed and the ball taken from her

As I say if they were in danger (and it could be so as no dog is 100%) I'd be the first to say '''thank you so much Im so glad you did that''' regardless........but when its a unnecessary aid to us....defo NO
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I did slip a lead round a dog once on the heath. I knew the dog but I wouldn't grab other people's dogs unneccesarily.

Some nugget was walking 2 Akita x Rottweillers across a busy field on the heath middday on a Saturday. Why the nugget name-calling? They were both in season.

Parker is a bit of an innocent bless him so wasn't bothered but there is a man who sits on a bench one end of the field and lets his dog just poodle about all over the place and his dog was getting very interested in the bitches and wasn't going to leave them alone and the bloke was getting quite angry. I slipped a lead over his head and walked him back to the owner. He did wonder what I was doing but I explained the bloke with the 2 bitches was getting angry (!). Boy was this dog strong though! Took all my effort to get him across the field (large Staffy).

Yes I could have left him and he would have been kicked by this owner of the 2 bitches but I didn't like to just stand and see that happen-even though it wasn't my dog and I'm not a fan of Staffies.

Incidentally the nugget with the 2 bitches had one of them seriously attack a lady on the heath when it tried to attack her small Yorkie and she picked it up to protect it and it ripped her arm open He just walked away and left her bleeding.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I did slip a lead round a dog once on the heath. I knew the dog but I wouldn't grab other people's dogs unneccesarily.

Some nugget was walking 2 Akita x Rottweillers across a busy field on the heath middday on a Saturday. Why the nugget name-calling? They were both in season.

Parker is a bit of an innocent bless him so wasn't bothered but there is a man who sits on a bench one end of the field and lets his dog just poodle about all over the place and his dog was getting very interested in the bitches and wasn't going to leave them alone and the bloke was getting quite angry. I slipped a lead over his head and walked him back to the owner. He did wonder what I was doing but I explained the bloke with the 2 bitches was getting angry (!). Boy was this dog strong though! Took all my effort to get him across the field (large Staffy).

Yes I could have left him and he would have been kicked by this owner of the 2 bitches but I didn't like to just stand and see that happen-even though it wasn't my dog and I'm not a fan of Staffies.

Incidentally the nugget with the 2 bitches had one of them seriously attack a lady on the heath when it tried to attack her small Yorkie and she picked it up to protect it and it ripped her arm open He just walked away and left her bleeding.
The man on the bench is a nugget! (too!)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
The man on the bench is a nugget! (too!)
Yep-my thoughts exactly! I do avoid that particular field now as it is full of what I call "benefit people" by which I don't mean people out of work for whatever reason but people who seem to have no intention of ever working and wander around with a beer can in their hand whatever the time of day and don't clear up after their dogs. Grrr!

There was a nasty incident there I witnessed once with a Greyhound that attacked a Golden Retriever. The Greyhound owner insists on walking his dog unleashed and unmuzzled even though it dislikes male dogs (this wasn't the 1st dog it attacked). He told me this whilst it was standing next to Parker!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Yep-my thoughts exactly! I do avoid that particular field now as it is full of what I call "benefit people" by which I don't mean people out of work for whatever reason but people who seem to have no intention of ever working and wander around with a beer can in their hand whatever the time of day and don't clear up after their dogs. Grrr!

There was a nasty incident there I witnessed once with a Greyhound that attacked a Golden Retriever. The Greyhound owner insists on walking his dog unleashed and unmuzzled even though it dislikes male dogs (this wasn't the 1st dog it attacked). He told me this whilst it was standing next to Parker!
God... that's awful. Is it any wonder I love the walks where we don't meet anyone on our travels!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Just thinking Loui will tolerate children grabbing at his collar in 'play' but I'm not sure he would take to an adult GRABBING his collar and taking him somewhere!!

I remember once in training when the person didnt forewarn and just took his lead and tried to take him he went scatty!

But then in the OP's case the dog was being taken TO the owner.....hmm

I have held onto a dogs collar that I know before so the owners could get them back

OH, just remembered I did take a GSD by the collar one day but that had something to do with his lack of doggy manners....and once he calmed down I let it go...I didnt attempt to drag him anywhere etc and there was no owner in sight
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I think in your situation i would have been annoyed. If both dogs where happy to greet each other i don't see why he felt the need to take Cooper's collar when you where making your way over to him.

I can't really think of any times when a stranger has taken Ted's collar i don't think he would be bothered anyway the most he would probably do is sit down and refuse to move.

I've only taken the collar of another dog a couple of times once was a whippet who had been evading his owner for over half an hour, he came to the fence to say hello to Ted and he allowed me to stroke him so i quickly grabbed his collar and waited for the owner to run over. The only other time was a rottie that was mithering Ted, he was snapping at the rottie and getting wound up. I took its collar to separate them while i waited for the owner to make an appearance .
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 05:55 AM
I would be annoyed, and frankly if anyone grabbed Max's collar, he would take their fingers off...

However, my two aren't allowed off-lead near other dogs, so (hopefully) no-one would have the opportuntity to grab them.

I wouldn't grab another dogs collar because 1) if they are up-close, it would mean that I would be attempting to keep 2 on-lead dog-aggressive Boxers under control; and 2) since I know what Max is like, I am mindful of grabbing at a strange dog in case I get bitten...
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I have slipped fingers under collars of dogs that are determined to come and join our walk as opposed to following mum/dad in the opposite direction but having been, and still occasionally am, the owner running like a lunatic after Chester coz he's decided to b***** off, I tend to see it from the side of I am the person that's dog is out of control friendly or not so the other person is helping, and I remember wishing when Chester was a lot younger that more people would grab him as he'd quite happily saunter over to anyone that wasn't me in some moods ! Grabbing and twisting a collar would be a red flag to me though as is grabbing scruff and as in your case someone grabbing one of mine when it's not necessary, has only happened once when a muppet wanted to give Chester a fuss and see him close up, I lost it I'm afraid, Chester was sat and fine with being grabbed but read my tone as I was walking up and almost pulled the guys arm out of his socket trying to get over to me , well he wanted him up close and personal!!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >