Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Mixed purpose chuck

The husband is getting quite into the idea of chickens now and has expressed an interest in going a step further then just getting some layers. He would like to maybe keep a couple for the table as well.

So what is a good breed to look at that will still be decent layers and make a good table bird?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Fairly good dual-purpose breeds are: Indian Game, Sasso, Light Sussex, Hubbards, Ixworths...

With dual-purpose though, you tend to keep females for laying and males for the table. They will need to be kept seperate, and the table birds fed differently to the layers (e.g. growers pellets, not layers pellets). Meat birds are only fairly young when despatched, whereas you keep layers for longer (hence why you don't eat the actually laying birds).

I'd also say that you need to restrict the movement somewhat of table birds - you don't want them running around, burning off all their weight!!

Just a thought - have you considered who would do the 'deed'? Whether you have the skills and the stomach to gut and butcher the bird?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Dealing with the bird once dispatched isnt an issue, when it comes to doing the deed I'm not sure i would be able to it. I dont have the experience or the know how of how to do it. However my brother in law does so hopefully he would be willing to show us.

I have kept Indian Game before but they were show and breeding birds not for the table. Light Sussex are a breed i have liked before so would be worth looking at. I think what we would do would be to get some chicks and raise them, then leave it to fate what we got. hens would be kept for laying cocks for eating.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 06:33 PM
There is also the speckled sussex - less common than the light sussex but still good dual purpose birds. If you are wanting something different. I have a cockerel at the moment, and a couple of 3 week old chicks (REALLY hoping that at least one is a hen!) Really, friendly birds and level headed. Not flighty at all.

If you don't mind a hybrid, there is someone breeding the "welsh black fowl". OH has got his eye on those and might be a project for the future. Google the name and you'll find his website.

Helen
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

I have now brought my coop Just got to get some chicks and we are away!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Any new additions to the coop?

Helen
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 04:29 PM
yep did post a photo but will update this thread as well with the photo i took today. We went to a rare breed farm i used to know and got 4 chicks a couple of weeks ago. 2 x Light sussex and 2 maran
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Here they are as promised:

between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 weeks old
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh yes, I think I did see them. Lol

They are very cute. How have they settled in?

Helen