Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 02:00 PM

How do I know he is better?

We've been treating Max for Kennel Cough for the last 10 days.

He hasn't had any symptoms since the day he was diagnosed (no coughing, retching, illness of any sort). We've done a 10 day course of some anti-bacterial tablets and kept him away from other dogs (including his training class) for 11 days now.

How do I know when he's better? I wasn't going to take him back to training until next week (w/c 11 December) but will he be ok then?

Thanks!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Isochic I am pleased to hear Max is showing no nasty symptoms and is getting better.

Regarding returning to the training class, even if Max is better I would ring up and check with your vet , if Max had Bordetella (Kennel cough ) and not just some respiratory tract infection he could remain infectious to other dogs for some considerable time so you could risk spreading the virus .
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Isochic I am pleased to hear Max is showing no nasty symptoms and is getting better.

Regarding returning to the training class, even if Max is better I would ring up and check with your vet , if Max had Bordetella (Kennel cough ) and not just some respiratory tract infection he could remain infectious to other dogs for some considerable time so you could risk spreading the virus .
Yes, I agree with Minihaha, it is best to check.
I've had the unfortunate experience of several of mine contracting kennel cough over the years, despite being vaccinated against it, and they have been so ill, coughing up slime, gagging constantly and one of my oldies passed out with coughing. I've also had youngsters that have shown very little in the way of symptoms, its such a relief when this is the case.
I have always obeyed the 4 week rule of not taking mine anywhere in case they infect others.
I'm really pleased that Max has been ok.