Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 05:02 PM

Showing Border Collies

Any hints of tips....(pictures would be good as well - I always learn better from visual aids!)

Thanks (in advance)
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2008, 06:45 PM
i went to ring craft and learnt there and from shows
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I think there is a clicker book on showing if you mean the actual handling bit. If it's the regulation side there are loads of books out there. If it's specifically BC haven't got a clue.

I've tried googling for the clicker book but no luck so far. Has Kay Laurence not done one? I'll keep looking
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I am not worried about her stand or her handling...its where I have to stand !!
I have clicked her into a nice stand, but she will also accept me moving her - I just don't want to go in blind. She is very out of coat at the moment - but I doubt I will do it very much..more experience than anything. - thanks for the pictures
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I did wonder Hannah If you want a book this one is a sort of guide to what goes on at shows

Peggy Grayson Good Showing and Amazon have it.

How basic do you want the info to be I don't want to teach my granny to suck eggs.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll post this, and five million people will jump down my throat to tell everyone how wrong I am .
Anyway, this is what I did when my Kali was a puppydog of about 11 months and going into his first ever show (just a little local agricultural show, nothing grand or formal).

He walked on my left, and I had his leash across my body, via left hand to handle in right hand. Well do I remember it - it was a notnice day, and the first thing Kali did there was to jump into a pile of fresh cow poo ( ). Also, he had chosen the week before to start moulting, so, as well as being wet, he was all spiky. Then he tried to bite the judge! We were utterly astonished when he came second out of twelve! Most important of all, though, he beat his goody-goody brother Merlin.

In the presence of the judge, I just stood "almost to attention", with lead across me, and the canine offender to my left. It seems to have done the trick .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks everyone...some of her relations are doing farily well at certain things so I am just trying to find her niche! I truely hope it is not showing as I am not one for standing around, she has shown some promise with freestyle and is loving agility...

We are off to ringcraft tonight....

THB...I am more worried about her jumping all over the judge than trying to bite! She has lost SO much coat recently that she looks like a smooth collie with wisps off odd hair at the back!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Ringcraft will show you the way to stand etc when in the ring and if in doubt ask one of the instructors. The lead is for the most part kept in the left hand as that is the side the dog will be running (sometimes due to a small ring a judge will move to one side therefore you have to change your dog over to your right side so the judge can see them). When the judge is going over the dog the main thing to remember is to keep out of the way of the judge. So stand on the opposite side of the judge when they are going over the head/shoulders. Once the judge is going over the rest of the dog you could move and stand in front of the dogs head and give the dog something to concentrate on, a treat to nibble on or a tickle under the chin (advising on a young inexperienced dog here ) Be prepared that the judge could come back up to the head to check something so be prepared to move back to the side of the dog. When running remember you want straight lines from the judge to the corner or wherever the judge sends you. Don't worry too much if your dog licks the judge or sits down, it's a sign of a good temperament and a good judge shouldn't hold it against you AT ALL. My boy is now 4 and he still sneeks in a crafty lick now and again. It's not held him back Keep your cool and replace the dog into position.
Remember your first few shows out are some fun for you and your dog and making it a pleasant experience for both.
If you have any queries please PM. Happy to help.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Good advice....would also like to add make the most of the ring.If you are asked to do a triangle do the biggest one you can!This allows the dog to settle more into his movent and allows the judge to see the dog better.Also looks more 'proffesional' Also...don't rush...you've paid your entry fee so you are entitiled to take your time.If things go wrong when moving...stop,go back and do it again
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Thanks everyone...some of her relations are doing farily well at certain things so I am just trying to find her niche! I truely hope it is not showing as I am not one for standing around, she has shown some promise with freestyle and is loving agility...
Try her on sheep instead
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >