View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Schutzhund clubs, WT's and agility classes....

I've been thinking about joining a dog class again only I cant get to the one we were at before.

So far there is a Schutzhund club about 2 miles away but no transport (well we can walk two miles there and back if we have to anyway) but aparently no-one there likes dobes (so they tell me when I went along; so I get the feeling its mainly a GSD club and strictly for people who want to get to a competative level - is this the norm? I wouldnt think we would as he's four now..just a 'hobby' for him....but is it still worth me looking down this route?)

There is a Working Trials club/training about 30 miles away but I cant get to this (timings, transport etc which is a shame cause I really like the sound of that club etc)

Agility clubs are all too far away and Loui only really likes the things he goes over

I would like a class where we feel we are working towards something yet a 'light' atmosphere, but what else is there?

The one other class that is actually accessible for us (about 3 miles walk there and back) is just a fun agility class which looks ok but then we wouldnt really be working towards something, if you know what I mean. It looks like quite a small, indoor hall too.

So, whats it worth looking into do you think?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I'd opt for that fun agility. If they use competition equipment and you get good at it as well as having fun, then you can always go elsewhere once you know it all and do it competitively can't you? They don't care what dog breeds they have at agility either as long as the dogs are having fun so you won't feel intimidated with a dobe. My local fun agility even has corgi's to rotties in the classes, but so far, we've only done the one to one basis coz I like it that way.

If it's something that is fun based like this agility, you won't feel pressurized either if you don't do so well, and it's fantastic for reinstating learned commands coz you have to have them to do it, so if you get really good with his obedience you could also diversify into that in the future? Good luck, shame you've gotta walk everywhere though, otherwise you'd have loads of choice on 4 wheels.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

So far there is a Schutzhund club about 2 miles away but no transport (well we can walk two miles there and back if we have to anyway) but aparently no-one there likes dobes (so they tell me when I went along; so I get the feeling its mainly a GSD club and strictly for people who want to get to a competative level - is this the norm? I wouldnt think we would as he's four now..just a 'hobby' for him....but is it still worth me looking down this route?)

Well imagine how thrilled most people were when I turned up with a grey hairy!

There are dobes that train and compete in Schutzhund, though not very many. And it has to be said that some individuals are anti some breeds.

This I think is short sighted as of course learning how to bring on "another" breed adds to the skills of the "trainers!".

But would you want to belong to a club that was not welcoming?

I was lucky but then I was also VERY persistent........

There is a Working Trials club/training about 30 miles away but I cant get to this (timings, transport etc which is a shame cause I really like the sound of that club etc)

Agility clubs are all too far away and Loui only really likes the things he goes over

I would like a class where we feel we are working towards something yet a 'light' atmosphere, but what else is there?

The one other class that is actually accessible for us (about 3 miles walk there and back) is just a fun agility class which looks ok but then we wouldnt really be working towards something, if you know what I mean. It looks like quite a small, indoor hall too.

So, whats it worth looking into do you think?
HWTM, Rally, Obedience, Flyball,
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:08 PM
LOL (at grey hairy)

Thanks SB, thats the thing - I would rather join a Schuzthund Club but only if the trainers and members were welcoming and open to new breeds, ways etc (that would include a club that had more dobes too - as you say, you want skill.....) We would literally be starting from scratch so already knowing that there was an 'opinion' from the kick-off wouldnt be a great atmosphere for us!

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will look into this further; the only club doing rally I cant get to either unfortunatley (which I think sounds great)

I will look for obedience and HWTM!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'd opt for that fun agility. If they use competition equipment and you get good at it as well as having fun, then you can always go elsewhere once you know it all and do it competitively can't you? They don't care what dog breeds they have at agility either as long as the dogs are having fun so you won't feel intimidated with a dobe. My local fun agility even has corgi's to rotties in the classes, but so far, we've only done the one to one basis coz I like it that way.

If it's something that is fun based like this agility, you won't feel pressurized either if you don't do so well, and it's fantastic for reinstating learned commands coz you have to have them to do it, so if you get really good with his obedience you could also diversify into that in the future? Good luck, shame you've gotta walk everywhere though, otherwise you'd have loads of choice on 4 wheels.
you may have good point there we would be keeping up what he knows and adding in some new stuff until we move on I suppose.

Hopefully I will be back to 4 wheels by the end of the summer but thats a whole new story.....

What I can do though is just allow for extra time for his walks cos I need to walk him anyway, just a re-jig I suppose..
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I found this when I went along to a Schutzhund club. It was very GSD orientated and they didnt appear to be overly enthusiastic about other breeds. They werent very welcoming neither and since there were other disciplines which interested me far more, I didnt persist.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 02:58 PM
And don't forget the same complaint gets made about agility and obedience clubs not welcoming those without collies etc or gundog clubs not welcoming some breeds.

People are prejudiced in all areas, I just ignore it.

I let my dogs "walk the walk", job done!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And don't forget the same complaint gets made about agility and obedience clubs not welcoming those without collies etc or gundog clubs not welcoming some breeds.

good point SB

I need to look into this lot much more. I think I will look for another Sch club too, just to see if there are more out there but I dont think so. My worry is that if thats the attitude then these people may not be so enthusiastic in helping me train my dog and as a total beginner and novice in the sport, I'll need a lot of guidance lol

Also, with this attitude I'm wondering if the club is 'someones baby' and if thats the case the fact that I'm joining with a four year old dog.....might not go in my favour either?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Where about are you in Fife, as I may be able to suggest some classes.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

I used to go to agility classes with my Cairns where there was a really posh lady who had 2 Collies and thought they were vastly superior to any other dog

She was quite miffed when my Cairn terrier Angus got the hang of Flyball much quicker than her Collies

It's nice when you have a "different" breed for a discipline as it makes it more interesting than having all the same breed in my opinion. I did heelwork to music with Parker for a while and it was mainly Collies but when we went to an award competition event the judge-Annie Clayton, was really taken by Parker and said how good it was to see a different breed performing.

One tip though-if you do decide to go for HTM don't get him weaving between your legs as you will probably be carted off by a dog his size he-he!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >