Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
But she's doing the best she can with what she has. Steroids aren't cheap and if they work then it's better than switching and swapping foods.
Totally, totally agree with this!

(fingers in ears and singing lalalalala re: outside/chaining dogs)

Helen
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
My apologies, you said you didn't agree with it, not that it was cruel.
It isn't even that I don't 'agree' with it... I just don't particularly like it because I think it has more risks to a dog being in an enclosure... I don't have any strong feeling against it though, like some other people... I just think an enclosure it a better idea.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Not really an answer but not really surprised.

What is a large crate? what is a small dog? how long is too long?

rune
How on earth do you expect me to give you a set answer when there are so many variables, such as the size of dog and size of crate! Give me a break, you are just being totally pedantic and picking up on a small a point I made.

Paddy, Irish Setter, was left the largest crate you can get for up to 9 hours a day. IMO that is completely wrong. The crate I have is the next size down from that, and I wouldn't leave mine in that for so long (mine don't get left that long anyway), and I wouldn't leave Arrow in it for that long even if his adult size in the size he is just now.

Like I said though, it is too hard to give a proper answer because the sizes of both dog and crate are different.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes---I am being pedantic---you can't make generalised statements without knowing what you are talking about.

I don't know what the largest crate size is? I do know how big my largest crate is---and a small yorkie would have more room in it than a rottie would in my kitchen. Which would be worse?

I think we'd all agree that 9 hours daytime is too long wherever a dog is left. Is 9 hours at night too long?

BTW Fizz was left in a crate for about 20 of the 24 hours---possibly longer. Hasn't stopped me using crates.

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 09:41 AM
You can get custom made crates so in theory size is not limited. Also puppy pens are quite big and can be adapted.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
If you think we haven't tried everything we could before putting him (at the vets advice) onto steroids you are wrong.

No diet will cure a dog of a grass allergy, we have taken care to provide a (not very cheap) diet that excludes his other allergents but unless we make him a prisoner and never take him out he will come into contact with grass and birch (his main problems).

I do wonder where you think the money would come from for an even more expensive diet though - we can't work longer hours it would kill us and I don't think that would help the dogs at all as it was obvious very quickly why Duncan was in a shelter waiting for adoption, not too many people will take on a dog that needs as much as he does IMO.
Ultimately, I don't know your situation or what has previously been tried.
I responded to a comment where you said you wouldn't feed raw because you are vegetarian which changed to not being able to afford it.
Which I still don't think is a viable excuse, I'm sorry but I don't.
I've never said you're not doing your best or you should work more. Simply responded to a comment with my beliefs.

My concern over steroids come from having see the after effects of what long term usage can do, but I'm not your dogs vets so I can't comment what is best for him. Merely a suggestion of has this also been tried.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
Ultimately, I don't know your situation or what has previously been tried.
I responded to a comment where you said you wouldn't feed raw because you are vegetarian which changed to not being able to afford it.
Which I still don't think is a viable excuse, I'm sorry but I don't.
I've never said you're not doing your best or you should work more. Simply responded to a comment with my beliefs.

My concern over steroids come from having see the after effects of what long term usage can do, but I'm not your dogs vets so I can't comment what is best for him. Merely a suggestion of has this also been tried.

My reason didn't change I had two reasons ! Also I know we are shortening his life it is something both my vet and I discussed at length, but at the end of the day a shorter life with no bleeding itchy skin or a long life of constantly scratching and making himself bleed and get secondary skin infections ? No contest as far as I am concerned I couldn't watch his little eyes weeping and sore and his back and belly bleeding any longer.

If it isn't a good enough excuse then so be it, I am content we are doing our best for him, the alternative is PTS and as I see it he is having a ball at the moment in his life the first time he has had more than a week free of itching in his life and he is happy.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes---I am being pedantic---you can't make generalised statements without knowing what you are talking about.

I don't know what the largest crate size is? I do know how big my largest crate is---and a small yorkie would have more room in it than a rottie would in my kitchen. Which would be worse?

I think we'd all agree that 9 hours daytime is too long wherever a dog is left. Is 9 hours at night too long?

BTW Fizz was left in a crate for about 20 of the 24 hours---possibly longer. Hasn't stopped me using crates.

rune
I can have whatever opinion I like. So do NOT tell me I do not know what I am talking about just because YOU do not agree with me. I also said, I don't think it is 'ideal' and not something that I would do... so what generalised statement is that??

I do NOT agree with dogs being left in a crate for long periods. End Of. MY opinion.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 12:54 PM
If you don't know the size of the largest crate---you don't know what you are talking about!

Nothing to do with not agreeing with you.

This was your generalised comment

<<I wouldn't put an adult dog in a crate (unless for a very short spell, or in a car etc) because they just aren't big enough for that.>>>

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Dogs on a chain can also have love Although, tbh, I think a WSD wants respect, kindness, understanding and patience - and work of course.

My hubby relies on his team of WSD for his livelihood. It isn't a hobby or a pastime. He is a shepherd! I don't know how many "old time" shepherds you know personally, but the ones we know from years gone by, and their fathers before them, often kept dogs outside in kennels and on chains. You can have a perfectly good bond with a dog who lives outdoors because you train, work and spend the majority of each day every day with that dog or dogs, working out on the hills, just man and dog.
Yup it is (imo) different for a dog who is worked doing the job they love to be kenneled and even chained for their downtime
Than a dogs whos job is to be chained
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 01:16 PM
If you don't know the size of the largest crate---you don't know what you are talking about!

Nothing to do with not agreeing with you.

This was your generalised comment

<<I wouldn't put an adult dog in a crate (unless for a very short spell, or in a car etc) because they just aren't big enough for that.>>>

rune
They are crates, they have a limit to how big they can be!

Yes, I said...

I wouldn't put an adult dog in a crate (unless for a very short spell, or in a car etc) because they just aren't big enough for that.
That is MY opinion
Page 49 of 50 « First < 39 46 47 48 49 50 >