Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Pain advice required.

I have just come back from an emergency dentist appointment after having to have two teeth extracted due to me not being able to take the pain anymore.

You see I have had this really bad toothache since Sunday night and had been hoping that it would go away all by itself, but this morning it was just unbearable. So despite of my shear dislike of going to the dentist I just had to booked myself in for an emergency appointment?

Well he took one look at them and said that I had an infected root cannel in one and the other had broken in half, and the best thing to do would be to remove them.

Well that all went fine except that my face feels ten times bigger than it is, but now that the anaesthetic injection is stating to wear off it, my jaw is starting to feel like I have been in the ring with Iron Mike Tyson.

So does anyone have any idea of what I can use to help eliminate the pain, as I can’t take anything that contains aspirin?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I was just going to say dissolve a soluble aspirin directly against the gum region. I suppose you could try other soluble pain relief in the same way? Nurofen worked but I used them alongside co-codamol, can you take those? I would pop down to the pharmacist and ask them before they close. i can sympathis Colin. i had an extraction last year after 3 consecutive abcesses. the relief when it came out was amazing. Have they also told you to do salt mouth washes to keep infection at bay?
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-11-2007, 01:07 PM
dont taker aspirin becasue it can encourage bleeding, when I had a couple of teeth out earlier this year it was paracetamol or ibruprofen. It will get better honest and its bound to be a better pain than you had before !
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I was just going to say dissolve a soluble aspirin directly against the gum region. I suppose you could try other soluble pain relief in the same way? Nurofen worked but I used them alongside co-codamol, can you take those? I would pop down to the pharmacist and ask them before they close. i can sympathis Colin. i had an extraction last year after 3 consecutive abcesses. the relief when it came out was amazing. Have they also told you to do salt mouth washes to keep infection at bay?
Thanks for you reply Fudgeley.

Michelle's nipped up to the pharmacist to ask about the Nurofen to make sure that it doesn't contain any aspirin etc.

I have been doing those salt-water mouthwashes, (which are gross) but the dentist did pack some sort of wadding into the socket to help keep any infection away.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Was tempted to say a large glass of whisky, but maybe not the most sensible suggestion.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Neurofen doesn't contain aspirin, however, like aspirin it's not recommended if say you suffer from asthma.

You can get soluble paracetamol or paracetamol/codine tablets which might be more help. Soluble would be better as it would work at the source immediately.

Other things to try would be rinsing your mouth with salt water solution or using a drop of oil of cloves (diluted) on the area.

kate
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Was tempted to say a large glass of whisky, but maybe not the most sensible suggestion.
I would love to, but I gave up drinking alcohol 20+ years ago.

Michelle came bame back from the pharmacist with a box of Neurofen, and after taking two of them I am now waiting for them to start doing there job.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 02:00 PM
You poor thing Colin, I know all about pain, I've just had to have two canine teeth out due to constant abcesses over a peroid of 3 months!! Unbearable isn't it! My face was also like I'd done a few rounds with Mike!!!

The only pills that worked for mine was Paramol and my husband takes these for his migraines and also says they're the only ones that work. So, if you haven't yet tried Paramol's go and get a box, a very large box!!!

Hot salt water is good too, as hot as your teeth and gums will bear it! It only gives you a few minutes relief, but boy, any relief is good if it's as bad as mine were!

I wholly sympathise with you, I've lived my whole life with this problem and have now resorted to half plastic ones, sooooo much easier and painfree!

If yours were lower teeth, then I expect some of the jaw bone has been "removed" with them!! I had that once, and the pain was just as bad as the infected teeth! Bottoms are so much worse for this sort of thing because of your jaw bone.

Try the paramol and I hope they can help you!xxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Hope you feel better soon Colin.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Co-codamol

I'm taking those just now 30/500 tablets. The're paracetemol 500mg and Codene phosphate 30mg.

You'll need to get a doc to prescribe them though as you won't get them over the counter.

They can also be taken with Ibuprofen.

Not sure if they are OK with your restrictions though.

One thing I used when I had tooth problems was the little mouth spray you can get from the chemist. As well as antiseptic it's an anaesthetic and it really does numb the area.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >