View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Cryptorchid castration, should we wait??

I have posted about this before but I have more info now...
Only one of Gregs testicles has dropped.
The vet has had a good feel and cannot feel the other one at all. He will have to have a 'cryptorchid' castration.
This would be covered on my insurance apart from any condition picked up within the first 28 days is not covered. This was obiviously picked up on his first vet check when we first had him, 2 weeks into the policy.
Anyway to cut a long story short its going to cost £298 . Has anyone else had a similar experience ? Some people say if you wait it might drop, He is 8 months now, My problem is the longer I leave it the heavier he will be and the more expensive the op will be. Should I wait a while or just go for it now???
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:17 PM
I would wait till the dog is about 16mths, then I would ONLY have the retained testicle removed, that way the dog will not develop any of the things that are associated with neutering, like possible weight gain etc..
Dawn.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:20 PM
At £298 for the op I would seek out a different vet, it is definately a more serious op than a straightforward castrate but not that much more. I would probably give him till he is a year old but it is probably unlikely to drop now - however you never can tell. There may be someone here who can say otherwise from theri own experience. My own dog, Ben, Lab now aged 13, had a retained testicle and was castrated aged 2 yrs (which was when he was handed in to our rescue).
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post
At £298 for the op I would seek out a different vet,).
Thanks for the advice having not experienced anything like this before I do not know what costs are reasonable.
The problem I am facing at the moment is he is not getting as much exercise as he could because I cannot really let him off the lead too much as he has suddenly become very interested in 'humping' (sorry couldnt think of a better word) Im worried he will go run off and do this to a bitch, the last thing I would want is for him to do that
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:30 PM
If the testicle is retained up high in the abdomen, it is a more complex operation than one that might be floating around the groin.

While I agree that you should wait until your dog is sexually mature before going ahead with this op (assuming there is nothing else that would affect gregs health), I would have both testicles removed at the same time.

From the price you have been quoted, it sounds like the testicle is high in the abdomen though - why not suggest to your vet that he ultrasounds to locate it, before a final decision is made?
It ought really to be covered by your insurance whichyou should discuss with your vet, as pups are adept at doing all kinds of clever tricks with testicles - and even some show dogs up to the age of about eighteen months 'suck 'em up' the minute they go in the ring, and drop them again as soon as they go out!

hth a bit

thandi

PS I hope to doG Greg is a dog!!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Unless the bitch in question (hypothetical) is in peak season she would probably put him firmly in his place. Not too bad a thing to teach him to mind his manners.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
PS I hope to doG Greg is a dog!!
Yes Greg is my dog!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2006, 09:51 PM
I would definately have it done sooner rather than later if it were one of mine [ they are all done anyway ].
Retained testicles are high risk for cancer and add to risk of Torsion as well. I personally see no reason to wait and you are right to expect it cost more as he gets heavier because it makes for a trickier op - assuming he is a Staffie [?] there would be more mass to get through as he gets older, stockier and more muscled up.

Also, he will not put on excess weight because of the snip, thats a fallacy. Snipped dogs do not need as much intake as entires thats all, so they only get fat if the owner does not adjust food appropriately so I wouldnt worry about his age, or about having both off, given his breed and the body mass he is likely to have if left until later.

Cost wise, I did know someone whose Boxer had one retained and had the snip several years ago, that cost her just over £300 at the time. None of mine have ever had anything but usual snip so I have nothing else to compare to for you on cost but my friends Boxer, sorry, but others here would be able to give you better comparrisons if theirs had the same op.

Some further info for you in case its of any help [ the decision on timing being yours of course :smt001 ]

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=897

http://www.2ndchance.info/cryptorchid.htm

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/conte...d=303&cat=dogs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Also, he will not put on excess weight because of the snip, thats a fallacy. Snipped dogs do not need as much intake as entires thats all,
Which is what I said, castrated dogs WILL put on weight, you have to give them much less food in order for them not to do so in 95% of cases, therefore castrating a dog alters their metabolism considerably.
Dawn.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Just one point, not sure if its the same everywhere

Our vets don't charge by weight for castrations, there is a flat fee of about £80, and that is it (incl. buster collar, any medication, further appts relating to the castration and stitch removal)

Would it be a different case if it wasn't a normal castration then, e.g. the GA charge would go by weight?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >