View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2006, 07:45 PM

Are dentistix enough to keep his teeth clean?

Hi,
Do you think dentistix are enough to keep my pups teeth clean or are they just a commercial fad?? A friend has been using them for a year and her vet says her dogs teeth are great! im not convinced!!?!? any views?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, I think they should be fine. We brush Roxys teeth though just to be sure
Laurence
New Member!
Male 

19-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I give Zoe 1 dentastix every other day, her teeth are as white can be so I think they are quite good, and seem to do the job.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I used to give them to one of my dogs when she was a pup but soon as she got a bit bigger they would be gone in seconds so not much teeth cleaning happening there I thought.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

20-07-2006, 10:55 AM
I think it depends on the dog, the BSD I had was given all sorts of teeth cleaning chews yet finished up with the worst teeth of all my dogs. I don't ever remember having any tooth problems at all with any of the dobes but they did get marrow bones to chew on. My last bitch , a german pinscher. was 13.5 yrs when I had to have her pts, and her teeth were perfect and she very rarely chewed anything. Kath
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I used to give them to one of my dogs when she was a pup but soon as she got a bit bigger they would be gone in seconds so not much teeth cleaning happening there I thought.
mine are the same quick bite and its gone ....i use plaque off its not a total solution but it dose keep in down and what little tarter is left is soft enough to scrape off
whoami
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I think they help if the dog actully chews them, if they are just bolted down I dont see how they help. I do brush their teeth aswell but probably three times a week. Plaque off does help too

Karen
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 06:01 PM
IMO they are not enough as the dog gets older; the best thing is large raw marrow bones once a month as it gets off any tartar and makes breath fresh...

I've not tried brushing dogs' teeth, maybe that does work well too...
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 06:17 PM
To be honest, if your dog's prone to grotty teeth, I think they're not going to be up to much in the long-term. We've never brushed our dog's teeth before, and some of them suffered for it, while others lived to ripe old ages with spotless teeth. I've started brushing my new pup's teeth because I think prevention has to be better than cure, and if you start them young, it rapidly becomes a painless operation for both parties. There are some great dog toothpastes about now, but Bongo's favourite is the Kong puppy Stuff'n'paste (a bit like chicken-flavoured shaving foam )