View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Greg the staff,Get him neutered now or wait?

Hi Guys,
Just like your opinion on something...(Staffy owners opinion will be great) only one of Gregs testicles has dropped (he is coming up to six months) The vet says normally if they have not dropped by now they wont drop at all, I am wanting to get him neutered anyway, but it is more complicated if one is still inside. I have heard it can take up to a year for them both to drop. Should I wait for a while longer and get the op when they have both dropped, or do it asap??
(p.s. does anyone know roughly how much it costs? i havent a clue?)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Personally I would only have the retained testicle removed unless there was a medical reason for wanting the dog totally castrated. There are problems associated with neutering that will be avoided if only the retained testicle is removed, i.e possible weight gain, being mounted by entire males etc.. If he were mine, I would wait untill he is a year old at least, no harm will come to him up till then.
dawn.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Syd was done at 11 months but both his were descended, not had any problems, his cost £150 but it seems to be size dependant. Friends staffy was £80 but again both were descended. It could be more expensive depending on where the undescended one is located. You should talk to your vet.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Have known a dog not to drop until it is 14 months, but up to a year is more usual. You can have only the retained one removed that will leave the dog with a complete hormonal system.