Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Are we going to slaughter everything that could ever possibly be a threat to us ... just in case?

I had to right a fallen young tup in the field next to my parent's place the other day - I am crippled at the moment with an arthritic hip, and can only walk on one leg with the aid of a stick, but I hauled my bulk over the wall and somehow managed to drag him to his feet. I was at some risk of having what is left of my left hip even more damaged, but thankfully I escaped unharmed. Had he butted the hell out of me, as tups are want to do, then should the gardener have shot him to save me from a battering, had he had a gun?

I know it is highly unlikely that the tup could kill me, but nonetheless he could have done me a huge amount of damage in my fragile state - maybe smashed my leg such that a hip replacement was impossible? Does this give me the right to have him shot to save my mobility? No it bloody well does not!!
Hardly comparable and I speak as someone who has just had surgery on my right knee to reattach 3 ligaments. I still can't walk more than about 20 steps let alone climb over a wall.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2016, 10:17 PM
It is comparable - the point being what makes us so important? And by the way, I stated that I hauled myself over the wall, no climbing, I cannot climb stairs let alone a wall!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2016, 10:24 PM
No it isn't comparable, you put yourself in a situation the Gorilla was going about his business when a child fell into his world. A 4 year old couldn't foresee what could happen, in your situation you could. So no comparison.
Clamber, climb whatever.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Indeed I did ... AND YOU ARE RIGHT, out of the blue this little boy - a similar yet different species ... landed in the moat where this gorilla was King. What did he do? He rescued the little boy from a possible drowning, and his reward was to lose his life. I have closely watched recent video footage and it is absolutely clear to me that the gorilla meant the boy no harm - you don't have to be anything more than a compassionate being to know that the gorilla was protecting the child from the - to him - threat of shrieking hysterical humans.

This is an absolute tragedy and we should, as the so-called top species, be totally ashamed - I certainly am.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Added video to first post:

So frightening - how on earth did it happen!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks Azz for posting that ... the gentleness that Harambe strokes and touches the child is humbling. True he does drag the child at high speed through the water but not to hurt him but to probably rescue him from all the stupid screaming humans who were stupid enough to let this little mite get into his world in the first place!

Clearly, the gorilla meant the boy no harm and the way the little lad gazes up at the gorilla in awe is wonderful - a shame some more adults cannot open their eyes in the same way.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Personally I agree that the Gorilla was curious, playful even but I do feel the commotion the incident caused (Crowd screaming etc) would have been agitating the Gorilla, I also feel the Gorilla was beginning to act protectively (Child was between his legs as shot?) My view is that the child was ultimately still in danger even if accidentally hurt by the Gorilla (the drag through the water could have dislocated a limb or drowned him) The poor Gorilla should never have been put in this situation and neither should the zoo keepers.

Gnasher, the question of which life was more important the Gorilla or the child is a big one, the sad reality is that many people feel a human life is more valuable than any other, no matter what the circumstances.

Interestingly a story in the news today told of small child climbing over a barrier and destroying a Lego sculpture?

I think the main issue, frankly, is parental negligence. I believe they may now face charges?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Looking at the video again it reminds me a lot of how a dog behaves when they get a new toy? curious, excited then protective over it!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 09:55 AM
I agree ... the gorilla is displaying protectiveness ... probably out of concern for the fact that the stupid parents were so negligent!! Now, the interesting thing is how would they have removed the child safely from Harambe? It would have been very tricky, but now we will never know. I am totally convinced that the wrong course of action was taken. The child was in no life-threatening danger. Do we know if he sustained any injuries after being dragged through the water?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
how would they have removed the child safely from Harambe? It would have been very tricky, but now we will never know. I am totally convinced that the wrong course of action was taken. The child was in no life-threatening danger. Do we know if he sustained any injuries after being dragged through the water?
I think the zoo keepers tried to distract the Gorilla away, they managed to do this with the 2 other Gorillas in the enclosure but not with Harambe, I feel by this time Harambe was actually protecting/guarding the boy between his legs? they perhaps could have tried to forceably move the Gorilla away from the boy (water spray/ fire extinguisher) But I assume this too dangerous, as was the option of trying to tranquilize the animal.

The boy is in hospital?
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >