Our sister sites
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Flea dirt no fleas?!

Hi,
Not been on Dogsey for ages!
We have recently moved house and Maisy seems to have picked up fleas. I have not seen any fleas but keep finding small amounts flea dirt.
First I shampoo'd her with flea shampoo, no sign of any fleas just small amounts of flea dirt. Then applied the spot on (Bob Martin Flea Clear). Sprayed the whole house with flea home spray, washed all her bedding and blankets on hot. Vacumed everywhere and everything everyday. Sprayed inside the dyson with flea spray.
This was 2 days ago and yesterday I found no flea dirt on het. Today I have found a small amount on her again.
Does this mean the spot on is not working?
Could she be catching them from the garden? Is there something I can treat the garden with?

Should I be doing anything else?
Im new to this flea business!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Are you absolutely sure that it is flea dirt? A quick way to check is to dampen a piece of tissue or something and dab it on the dirt........if it shows up as red or reddybrown, then yes it is probably fleas. If it stays black or grey then it might just be bits picked up from the bushes.

I am now scratching of course!! Is SHE scratching?

I am not sure about the effectiveness of Bob Martin to be honest, and as fleas seem to be becoming immune to some of the common spot ons, vets are prescribing different brands now, or even the new tablet form of protection. Some dogs never get the horrid things, and others pick them up all the time it seems........I am sure that very soon there will be people along with very good suggestions.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Are you absolutely sure that it is flea dirt? A quick way to check is to dampen a piece of tissue or something and dab it on the dirt........if it shows up as red or reddybrown, then yes it is probably fleas. If it stays black or grey then it might just be bits picked up from the bushes.

I am now scratching of course!! Is SHE scratching?

I am not sure about the effectiveness of Bob Martin to be honest, and as fleas seem to be becoming immune to some of the common spot ons, vets are prescribing different brands now, or even the new tablet form of protection. Some dogs never get the horrid things, and others pick them up all the time it seems........I am sure that very soon there will be people along with very good suggestions.

Yep done the cotton wool test and its Flea dirt
Used Frontline in the past and it made her sick, pets at home recommended the Bob Martin Fleaclear as its the 'premium' version of their brand and contains some of the same active ingrediants as vet presribed droppers withou prescription. Ive always used Bob Martin normal dropper monthly without any issue, but as I had seen flea dirt wanted something stronger (this one says it lasts 8 weeks)

She is not scratching anymore than normal, she has always scratched at her collar since she was a pup.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
You seem to have done everything possible and all I can think is that she is, as you said, picking them up outside on a regular basis but the treatments are working and killing the fleas - but not instantly!

I wonder if you have a resident hedgehog, or perhaps a less than clean cat or something which regular goes through the garden.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
As described above, double check it is flea dirt.

I've been using Frontline or Effipro on both my dogs for years and never had a problem with fleas or ticks. They are around several different dogs every day and walked in heavily grassed areas and fields regularly as well.

I meet dogs in work who have fleas too and, so far, my dogs still haven't had fleas! So, I guess it must be working for them.

I spoke to a vet recently who says Frontline is less effective in Australia now, but not over here so much and that was after he had been at a conference recently. He said he would dispense something else to clients if he found it it was not working here now but he hasn't had anyone come back and say it hasn't worked.

Hopefully it's not fleas though and remember that fleas can also carry immature tapeworm.

If it is fleas, you'll have to treat the dog and the house.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Do you know of any products to treat the garden? Could she be catching them from the grass?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Adele-84 View Post
Do you know of any products to treat the garden? Could she be catching them from the grass?
No, I don't know of anything and surely it would be difficult to treat a garden area, especially if whatever it is that is carrying them keeps coming back Don't know though. She could pick them up from anywhere in the garden where they have been deposited to be honest. Is it a large area? Let's hope for some really hard frosts because that should see them off!!

I am really, really scratching now
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
No, I don't know of anything and surely it would be difficult to treat a garden area, especially if whatever it is that is carrying them keeps coming back Don't know though. She could pick them up from anywhere in the garden where they have been deposited to be honest. Is it a large area? Let's hope for some really hard frosts because that should see them off!!

I am really, really scratching now
Just talking about them makes me itchy! Its freaking me out to be honest im getting a bit stressed about it. We had brand new carpets fitted the day we moved in which cost a fortune, now im worried they will get ruined
Its a small garden with grass and a stoned edge.
Ive tried googling treatment for the garden but it seems to be an american thing to treat the house and the 'yard'.

I just dont understand after all im doing still finding flea dirt but not seen a single flea!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't know how quickly Bob Martin stuff works - if it isn't instant, then the flea/s may have time for a poop before they die If she isn't scratching and biting at herself, other than the normal collar scratching, then with luck she is not actually being bitten.

Try not to get stressed, I know it isn't funny, and with your spray treatment of the house and hoovering etc., I am sure that the blighters are not lurking in the carpets. It is just possible that the fleas were in the house before you moved in, but if there was a big infestation you would have bites on your ankles and legs.......in fact you would probably have those with a small infestation; so this really is a puzzle
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
The Bob Martin Flea Clear says on the box that it only protects up to 5 weeks against fleas (I think it is anyway) whereas Frontline is up to 3 months. Even though it has the same active ingredient, Fipronil, the formulation might mean it's not as effective.

In saying that, I've used Effipro with no problems and it doesn't claim to last as long against fleas as Frontline does either.

Might be a good idea to speak to your vet about how to get it under control if you don't seem to be sorting it out just now. But you will have to treat the house and the dog otherwise they won't go away. Wash all bedding, soft furnishings etc and hoover daily.

ETA: Indorex spray is good and make sure when hoovering to get behind furniture and hoover skirtig boards etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >