Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Lungworm - (angiostrongylus vasorum)

Does anyone have experience of Lungworm affecting their dog/s or have any information about it. It has just cropped up on a thread about vet charges, and I do not know much about it - other than it is caused by snails, slugs and frogs and is becoming more widespread in this country. Is there any preventive measure that can be taken (apart from not allowing your dog to eat or play with the slimey things.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:26 AM
There's no preventative - the only option is to treat regularly for it to kill off an infection before too much damage is caused. Unfortunately by the time symptoms are displayed, the infection has got quite bad and the dog is usually quite ill and there are usually lasting effects if treatment is effective.
Two doses of Advocate are meant to treat an infection - I personally use this as my regular flea treatment now as lungworm has been reported quite frequently in the south east. Panacur is another treatment but must be given as a 7 day course as opposed to a one-off dose like you would give to worm a dog for any other nasties.
Vets are becoming more aware of it nowadays so perhaps bring it up with your vet and discuss a regime that works for you - e.g. I know lots of people just do the 7 day Panacur course in Autumn when whether is damper and snails/slugs more prevalent.
www.lungworm.co.uk might be of some help