Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Bichon Frise grooming in Liverpool

My lovely bishon 9 weeks old.I have bathed him once and dried him on my young daughters hairdryer.He did not seem to mind at all. I have been told to do this at an early age as condision of the breed. However should i start getting him proff done at this early age so he does not get scared. Would hate to scare him but need advice.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
9 weeks is too young to take your Bichon to a groomer,has he had all his vaccinations yet? I have a grooming business and I would turn you away,you have to realise that there would be other dogs on the premises and there might be a risk to your puppy. You are doing the right thing by introducing him to concept of being groomed,more important than bathing him,is making sure that his coat does not become knotted,as he is a non moulting breed. It would be good for you to get yourself a poodle comb from a petshop,it has very wide teeth and seperates the hair properly.If you get him used to being combed you will not need to bath him too often. If you get him used to the sound of your hand dryer then he will not be too phased when you do take him to a groomer.The best age for him to start going to a groomer would be about 4 months old and you will have done the hard bit!Good luck
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by Windhound View Post
9 weeks is too young to take your Bichon to a groomer,has he had all his vaccinations yet? I have a grooming business and I would turn you away,you have to realise that there would be other dogs on the premises and there might be a risk to your puppy. You are doing the right thing by introducing him to concept of being groomed,more important than bathing him,is making sure that his coat does not become knotted,as he is a non moulting breed. It would be good for you to get yourself a poodle comb from a petshop,it has very wide teeth and seperates the hair properly.If you get him used to being combed you will not need to bath him too often. If you get him used to the sound of your hand dryer then he will not be too phased when you do take him to a groomer.The best age for him to start going to a groomer would be about 4 months old and you will have done the hard bit!Good luck
Yes did not want him groomed right now but wanted advice for the best time to get him groomed. Only i have been told to get him ready at a young age as this is ness for his breed. Would never want him to be scared of it dont think he will as my teenage daughter has her dryer on all the time and he likes it . Anyway really wanted to know how often should i bathe him. Ps i brush him everynight when hes sleepy only his first mummy said i should defo bath him weekly. I thought this a bit harsh but am a novice, thanks
adonia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2010, 01:07 AM
PS forgot to mention your advice really helped regarding the poodle brush as ive been using a basic puppy brush, thanks