Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I strongly support continuing the Tesco. Some may bash its ingredients, but likely it has the same nutrition as the foods with ''better'' ingredients. There are no published reports of careful, controlled studies showing ingredients make the least bit of difference.
With no experinance of this food I do wonder how you feel qualified to answer.

Unless a dog is over fed or sick, it seldom is necessary to do anything to encourage it to eat.

What makes a dog food high quality is having a generous amount of each essential nutrient. That can be done starting with almost any ingredients.
Must nip out to Mc Donalds to get happy meals for the dogs, followed by some chocolate perhaps.

Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Well I certainly at least understand the difference between an inexpensive, but carefully balanced diet and junk food. No honest, well informed person would compare a complete and balanced dog food with MacDonalds.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Labman
Unless a dog is over fed or sick, it seldom is necessary to do anything to encourage it to eat.
What makes a dog food high quality is having a generous amount of each essential nutrient. That can be done starting with almost any ingredients.
There is more to feeding a dog than providing the minimum amount of nutrients for the least amount of money. You could achieve this by giving a dog cardboard to eat and a nutritional pill each day.

Well I certainly at least understand the difference between an inexpensive, but carefully balanced diet and junk food. No honest, well informed person would compare a complete and balanced dog food with MacDonalds.
Labman in my opinion you are the last person to advise people of feeding puppies or anything else to do with the puppy care. From your previous posts you aren't even aware that puppies need constant access to water. You tell us your puppies are shut in a tiny crate 16 hours a day on wire mesh without access to water, not a good example of a caring dog owner .

The so called 'complete and balance dog foods' you are always going on about have poisoned scores of dogs in the USA including a dog belonging to one of our members. If you wish to feed the poor unfortunate puppies who fall into your hands on rubbish that is up to you but don't think all dog owners have the same lack of understanding of dog care as yourself.

People should be aware you are not raising indispensable pets but dispensable service dogs which are handed on to another agency after a few months, puppies for whom long term health and welfare seems to be of little concern to yourself.

NB I don't normally refer to another members posts in this way but in the case of Labman I make an exception because his methods of puppy raising are considered by most people here to be outdated and cruel.

An interesting article on not so complete pet foods.

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/dat...Patrick06.html

A few details of Petfood poisoning of dogs/cats fed on complete petfood in the USA .
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-fo...-overview.html
http://animalwelfare.kucinich.us/ind...id=11&Itemid=1

http://vodpod.com/watch/2532508-jimm...1&pod=bitepod2

And its still going on today...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html

I would advise anyone to look carefully at the food they are feeding their pets and if they are feeding a complete food to choose one produced locally with the minimum amount of additives not a food produced to provide maximum profits, minimum nutritional and a long shelf life . After all we caring dog owners don't just want our pets to 'survive' we want them to be fit and healthy too..
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-03-2010, 11:09 AM
It is funny how on most sites I am highly respected and valued for the depth of my knowledge.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2010, 11:37 AM
It is funny how on most sites I am highly respected and valued for the depth of my knowledge.
Not funny at all Labman, the members of Dogsey are clearly far more knowledgeable and experience than the people you have encountered elsewhere.
On this site very few people are impressed by someone who claims to be 'an expert' and says they know better than anyone else when clearly have very little understanding of dog care.

What is becoming quite clear to me (after talking to The Humane Society USA, DELTA, ASPCA and others in the USA about the methods you say the guide dog/service dog organisations which allow you to have puppies use ) is that canine welfare regulation in the USA is done on a state to state basis, regulation is poor or none existent and falls way below the standards of dog care in the UK and many other countries. So the fact that you and your team of experts have very little consideration for the overall welfare of the dogs in your care should come as no surprise to anyone.

Labman what you need to learn is your standards of puppy care are outdated , cruel and fall way below most of the people who use this site .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2