Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shellsbells
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm new and need help plz!!

Hi, My name is Shelley, I'm new to this site and would like to say a big HIYA to all those animal lovers out there.

I need a bit of help, I own 2 male staffs Boyce who is 5 yrs old and Skinnt who is 2 at most, both rescue dogs. I've had Boyce for 4 years and Skinnt for only approx 6-9 months. Skinny seems to be the dominant dog over Boyce and Boyce doesn't seem to thrilled about this, he doesn't really play anymore as Skinny takes over...how can i tell who REALLY is dominant or is it too obvious and i've just answered my own question??

Thanx in advance for any help

Shelley xx
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Boyce is obviously older and Skinny at 2 is probably becoming an adult in Boyce's eyes.

If Boyce played with Skinny when Skinny was younger but now can't be bothered then that's par for the course in my experience.

Does Boyce decide when he's had enough and let Skinny know ?

Our Skye (oldest dog) played great with both Fingal and later Breagh as a pups. As Fingal and Breagh got older and rougher Skye had a hard time but despite appearing to be the one who was being picked on - he would soon pull rank when need be.

Remember the 'gobby' ones aren't always the dominant ones. Sometimes a dog can be dominant in a way we don't really pick up on and command respect 'quietly' from the others.

Skye is always last through a door. Not because he's the lowest pack member but because he is confident enough to not need to be first.

For the biggest clues about who is top dog I would say.....

How are they at feeding time ?

How are they with each other when you meet another dog ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi and welcome.
I find whoever is `top dog` (I don`t use the D-word!) changes all the time. Ultimately it`s your house and you set the rules, so if one dog is stopping the other from playing, I personally would intervene and send the spoilsport to his bed when he does it.