View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Maisy in first season, is sickness normal?

When I got home from work @ 4.30, I was greeted at the car by my neighbour saying since OH went to work at 2pm Maisy had been howling. Very odd as when we are out she normally just sleeps or plays with her toys nicely. So I came in and she was in the corner lying down shaking, and had been sick. I then notices blood all over the floor, so had a look at her and she has come into season. I have two questions really.
*Is it normal for her to be scared and be sick from having her first season ?
*Does anyone use those pant things for when they are bleeding ? at the moment its everywhere!

She is ok now, she has calmed down, and eaten her dinner, but def feeling sorry for herself and she is quite swollen. Iv never had a bitch before so this is new to me. I had booked her in to be spayed next week, so she wouldnt have a season, but too late! so Iv cancelled that and re-booked for 3 months time.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh dear, I think I will be in the same postion very soon, I think that Poppy is coming into season. I have never had sickness, but then I have only ever had one other bitch before.
I'm sure someone with the knowledge will post soon. I will be interested to see what they have to say too
Elaine xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:04 PM
No idea Adele, but awwww, bless her wee heart (notice the Scottish reference there, clever eh!!).

Good luck with it all, maybe a special treat later to cheer her up ;o)
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I've never experienced that with any of mine but mine are small breed, so maybe different, perhaps. Usually they are just a bit grumpy for a few days before, not so playful as usual and then they bleed quite lightly for the first few days, gradually getting heavier. I think they may get stomach cramps as they do seem a little quieter and not run around so much the first few days.

I use little pants for my lot (they are teddy bear pants from Build a Bear shop). I use them to make sure that my Bailey doesn't get any ideas (but change them every few hours) if I turn my back for a second, as well as he wears a bellyband Stops any stray drips too. I've seen my girls take the belly band off my boy though (velcro fastening). Who would believe it of my little Princesses

Sounds like your girl might be a little stressed with it being the first time and all, with you not being there. She might have worried about the mess, perhaps! I'm sure she'll settle down quickly. If the bleeding was very heavy, I think I'd get the Vet to check her out but, like I said, perhaps that is normal for larger breeds. Sorry I can't be more help

eta, I've just noticed she's not a large breed but probably quite a bit bigger than mine, all the same.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:15 PM
What's a belly band?
Elaine xx
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
What's a belly band?
Elaine xx

It's just a piece of material that fits around the dogs waist kind of area (goes over the willy). It's elasticated around the willy area, so that it doesn't hurt him. Secures with velcro. To be honest, it's pretty much a waste of time, as the girls take it off, or he wiggles out. I just think it might buy me a second or two, if say I run for the phone. These little creatures are very quick and I hate to crate one of them during the day, so the alternative; teddy pants for the girl (Bailey hasn't got the brains to pull the girls' pants off ), belly band for the boy and eyes closely on them. If I go out the room, I have to take one with me. They really are very determined, once the girl's time is right Bailey kind of falls in love (quite sweet really). Licks their face and eyes, as if to say "I love you - let me" hahaha! All of the girls would have liked to except Fluffles (my choc longcoat). She never let him anywhere near her all season - that's my girl!!!!!!! Didn't let her off of wearing pants though, although the teddy pants were tight on her, so she wore Cabbage Patch Doll Pants
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:31 PM
well after a quick trip to trusty pets at home, she is kitted out with her lovely pants, so no more mess which means she doesnt have to stay in the kitchen. I called the vet to cancel her spay, and they think she may have been sick due to being distressed. The bleeding doesnt seem to be very heavy just looks alot as she is white. I got her a little bone to soften the blow with having to wear pants. She seems to have cheered up now and is happily chomping her bone
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
No idea Adele, but awwww, bless her wee heart (notice the Scottish reference there, clever eh!!).

Good luck with it all, maybe a special treat later to cheer her up ;o)
Thanks pidge, I think the bone from PAH has cheered her up a bit
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Awwwww, she just wanted her Mummy and a treat - bless her I'm sure she'll be fine now. Especially with you giving her special treatment
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Adele-84 View Post
Thanks pidge, I think the bone from PAH has cheered her up a bit
Well done you! Any pictures of her in her pants? Or is that just too cruel?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >