Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post

The RSPCA can act but don't. If they receive a complaint regarding a licensed kennel, they forward the complaint on to the GBGB to deal with - as they did in the Blanchard case.
Oh come on!! The RSPCA love high profile cases and we all know it would have been high profile if it involved greyhounds and greyhound racing. So why didn't they prosecute? Must be more to it than the poor excuse above.
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

I'll stop now, as like the lionman, I could rant about peta all day.

I'll join your club!!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
What have I told you about assuming? Its very dangerous and yet again you have assumed wrongly.

May well be an idea to take ones own advice

Why not?

Is he not pro anyway?
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Take it up with PETA - this topic is about commercial greyhound racing and not the ethics of a campaigning group which I know very little about or can answer for.
It's still a very relevent topic.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Didn't ya know, its ok to kill as long as you don't breed
But is ok to over breed and then kill? You support the killing of dogs in one industry but not by rescues etc. If you are so against dogs being pts by PETA why are tou so supportive of an industry that does it constantly. Perspective a little clouded by your love of all things racing. Yes you bleat on about it happening all over – just tell me why you give PETA such a hard time but thing the greyhound industry is so wonderful for doing it?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I can think of a big group of people who breed to make money and then the dogs may go into a rescue home if there lucky right off the top of my head, maybe not pet owners, but people do all the same, and also when it comes to dogs like staffs, or any other 'status' dogs. Oh and I've also heard of many people giving their dog up coz its too old aswell, or getting them pts, and they are pet owners.
So can I, I call them puppy farmers, does that make them ok to do it as well? Otherwise I am not sure of your point – all those things in my eyes are wrong! It still does not make the racing industry right though! Again 2 wrongs don’t make a right!
Where have I told you not to mention it, or say that everything is hunky dory in this??

No you said instead of using the cruelty that goes on as an argument we should look at people who don’t rehome their dogs – why whats wrong with mentioning the cruelty?

What I meant was straight from the racing kennels into new homes, its happened a few times round here, and this is what I think that people should be aiming for.?

So you don’t think that people owning dogs should be keeping them but getting rid as soon as they are past their sell by date? Would you buy a dog knowing you could not or could not keep it then?

I like the way that you have missed out the last bit of that sentence too, yes its good for you if you do something about it, it seems that everyone in the racing industry is being tarred with the same brush, whether they are loving people who care for their dogs, or the people who no-one wants involved in the sport, so maybe I should of put it as good on you for doing that, but don't judge the whole thing based on some.?
No-one wants in the sport - please if that is so why is nothing done about them?

If I see something cruel, yes I will do something about it ?
Again what some see as cruelty others see as perfectly acceptable.

Again I have admitted that bad things happen in Greyhound racing, but there are plenty of people involved who care about their dogs, but I bet that they never make the media, or are used in your tails are they?
Excuse me – used in my tales? Either you do admit that there is cruelty in greyhound racing or its tales? Which is it – made up fairy tales or cruelty? You admit but still activity support it.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Fare point, I think we all would like to see cruelty wiped out.

No, it isn't all roses, the people I've met and spoken to personally, do seem to care deeply about the wellfare of the dogs in their care, but I'd bet you've met far more people in the industry than me. Maybe, if I'd had your experiences, I'd be a bit more anti, however, saying that, I'm neither completely pro or anti, somewhere in between.

Nobody should just sit back and except it, apathy gets us nowhere.

Yes, people should be campaigning, and I'll admit, that I certainly don't do enough in that area, for the things I feel pasionate about. They mention it, to add context, but yes, I see your point.

Your welcome. Again, you've probably had more experience in this field than I have.

Like I've said already, the ones I've met, seemed to care about their dogs, and I mean really care. It is a great shame that some people feel that they can't speak out, though, cowards get little sympathy from me, and tbh, I don't think our animal cruelty punishments are harsh enough in this country, but conciddering the state of the justice system, and the overcrowding in prisons, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Lol if I saw anyone hugging a tree, I'd think they were drunk or high, not vegie.
Thank you I think this is a great post. I just wish everyone thought as you do regarding the apathy and wanting to see the cruelty wiped out.

Only one point I would mention !!! I could be a drunk, high veggie you know
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Or it may be because they are actually treated worse Spain is lack on their animal right rules IMHO and these dogs need a lot of help and support, there is no real governing body, or any thing put in place to protect these dogs, from what I know they don't have papers, or need anything to id them.
Yet you lovingly support an industry that ships greyhounds to spain? Funny you forgot to mention that about your beloved industry isn’t it?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But is ok to over breed and then kill? You support the killing of dogs in one industry but not by rescues etc. If you are so against dogs being pts by PETA why are tou so supportive of an industry that does it constantly. Perspective a little clouded by your love of all things racing. Yes you bleat on about it happening all over – just tell me why you give PETA such a hard time but thing the greyhound industry is so wonderful for doing it?
Do the Greyhound industry pretend to be angels? Do they then kill dogs for no reason, I could give you a list of why I don't like PeTA.

So can I, I call them puppy farmers, does that make them ok to do it as well? Otherwise I am not sure of your point – all those things in my eyes are wrong! It still does not make the racing industry right though! Again 2 wrongs don’t make a right!
No they don't but I was answering this.

Of course some people have to give up their dogs for various reasons but most do not buy them or breed them knowing damn well they will be put into recue at pretty much best – do they? Certainly most have not used them to make money and put them into rescue when they get too old to do so, or maybe in your vast experience most pet owners do?

No you said instead of using the cruelty that goes on as an argument we should look at people who don’t rehome their dogs – why whats wrong with mentioning the cruelty?
You should work in the media

I said this,

instead of keep using this as the main argument, well you should look more at people who don't rehome their dogs, and look at why some of them are being pts,
notice main argument did I tell you to stop using it, God someone needs to learn to read things properly.

So you don’t think that people owning dogs should be keeping them but getting rid as soon as they are past their sell by date? Would you buy a dog knowing you could not or could not keep it then?
Would you rather them dogs live out there lives in kennels? I think that if a dog had a chance at a home where it can live in a home, and get more attention (and I'm talking from places with loads of Greyhounds) as there will be less other dogs who need looking after surely this is better for them?

No-one wants in the sport - please if that is so why is nothing done about them?
Because just because no one wants them there its not so easy to get rid of them.

Again what some see as cruelty others see as perfectly acceptable.
I can tell you now that if I see anything that is anything to do with cruelty I would not sit back and do nothing, I would do all in my power to act on it. And I would more then likely find the same sort of things as you do as cruel.

Excuse me – used in my tales? Either you do admit that there is cruelty in greyhound racing or its tales? Which is it – made up fairy tales or cruelty? You admit but still activity support it.
You didn't see the play on the word 'tail' then, but like I admit that there is things in the industry that should not be there, do you admit that there is people involved in the industry that really do care for their dogs and love and care for them as people love their pets?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Yet you lovingly support an industry that ships greyhounds to spain? Funny you forgot to mention that about your beloved industry isn’t it?
Do I say that I support everything
Page 105 of 157 « First < 5 55 95 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 115 155 > Last »