View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:20 AM

How many of you vaccinate your own dogs?

Theres another thread about a dog who doesnt like going to the vets for her jabs and one suggestion put forward was to vaccinate the dog themselves.

How many of you actually do this?
How does it affect your certificates?
Where do you source your vaccines from?
Who advises you what to vaccinate against?
Does your vet give you grief over it?

Lots of questions I know but I'm interested in the answers.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:27 AM
How many of you actually do this?i do
How does it affect your certificates? i fill them in
Where do you source your vaccines from?vet suppliers he know us we get other stuff from him also x
Who advises you what to vaccinate against?ithe supplier,hes a vet himself,he dont practise since heart problems
Does your vet give you grief over it?no i get her to do puppies because she heart test them to.but ido everything else,unless im stuck and stumped and she does it,then she knows its bad if i cant do it,i do call for advice though.

hope this helps,with your curiosity,xx
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for that. I'm interested only because I've never heard of anyone vaccinating themselves. ( either that or I'm just nosey! lol)
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I do not, even though I have never had a shot reaction with any of mine at the vet- but it can happen.
Also- here with shows, they do not accept your shot record- it has to be done by a vet. This also includes boarding kennels, events, even dog walks like for the human societies etc. Additionally- its also a full exam at shot time- a physical- something I could not do myself.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Is it legal to buy and vaccinate your own dogs where you live Zoey? Arent you in Ireland?
Dawn.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
The chap that runs the greyhound kennels up the road to me vaccinates his himself and offered to do mine for me. It was a lot cheaper than the vets but I didn't want to risk it, would much prefer a professional check up when they have their jabs.

I don't know much about rules and regulations but he is inspected regularly by the council and has planning permission etc to breed racing greyhounds, he is also involved in rescue so I'm assuming it is legal for him to innoculate his dogs himself.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I dont but then i have a fear of needles and my three dont mind the vets much .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I think Zoey is in Ireland somewhere so it may well be different, but a lady well known in dogs was prosecuted and heavilly fined for buying and vaccinating her own dogs, a Vet that gave a puppy she bred a second vaccine reported her having realised the vaccine was given by somebody who was not a Vet, and not a legally bought vaccine.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think Zoey is in Ireland somewhere so it may well be different, but a lady well known in dogs was prosecuted and heavilly fined for buying and vaccinating her own dogs, a Vet that gave a puppy she bred a second vaccine reported her having realised the vaccine was given by somebody who was not a Vet, and not a legally bought vaccine.
Oh, I didn't realise it was illegal, good job I didn't let this chap do mine
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
This was another case.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...tm?bw=bb&mp=rm
UNDERSTAND though Zoey I think is in Ireland, it may well eb perfectly ok there (southern)
Dawn.

Len was a practicing Vet.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »