Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Tescos perhaps.

People nowadays distance themselves from where meat comes from.Does it really make any difference whether its from an abbatoir or an organised game shoot or simply someone bringing home one for the pot?
That wasn't the point that I was making.
The point I was making is that my son loves to shoot.
He does not, however, want to shoot anything that is alive. He has no desire to kill anything.
My point was it is possible to enjoy shooting without actually killing something.

Whilst my son is a city kid, he has spent a great deal of time in the country and totally gets the connection between lambs and lamb, cows and beef, deer and venison. He understands how animals are slaughtered, indeed he has a better understanding than a lot of kids as he attends a Jewish school and has learned about the differences between kosher and non kosher meat (and therefore slaughter).
He knows why we only eat organic ethically sourced meat.

My view is that if an animal has had a good life and a kind death then great. If it has spent it's life standing still or eating the eyes of it's neighbour, no, not good. If it is stressed out at slaughter, no not good. The conditions and level of care must be good from birth to death. That can be the case on some shoots, that can be the case with some farm animals. It's about respect.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Thing is-do they need to prove anything?

Like i said previously though,game is eaten round here-our local farmshop buys & sells game.They buy anything like hare,pheasant,boar,woodpigeon,rabbit and is where i offload what i shoot so there still is a market for it.
yes Steve in this case i think they do, people want proof of where the millions of shot birds go & want to see that they arnt still being dumped. They know people are suspicious so instead of making 'claims' why dont they just prove they are exported...i wonder
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
yes Steve in this case i think they do, people want proof of where the millions of shot birds go & want to see that they arnt still being dumped. They know people are suspicious so instead of making 'claims' why dont they just prove they are exported...i wonder
Who needs proof? LACS? RSPCA? RSPB? ALF?

You could show any one or all of these groups evidence and they'll still say they've been faked so whats the point.Game shoots are perfectly legal and generate millions of pounds towards the economy and wont ever be stopped.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Who needs proof? LACS? RSPCA? RSPB? ALF?

You could show any one or all of these groups evidence and they'll still say they've been faked so whats the point.Game shoots are perfectly legal and generate millions of pounds towards the economy and wont ever be stopped.

well I for one would like proof! i would have thought anyone who respects the life of an animal would want to know its body hasnt been discarded like a piece of rubbish!...and we are talking thousands upon thousands of bodies here.

Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
game birds arnt a very popular meat over here, i dont know if you realise but 80% of shot game birds are exported to the continent...or so BASC claim!

[.

but i thought you were against keeping animals in inhumane battery conditions?? why dont you speak out against the majority of gamebirds kept in appaling conditions that are used for breeding?

lmao, so long as its 'conserving' species that dont come into conflict with the shoot though hey

you yourself just dismissed perhaps the most indepth study done on predators/songbirds...and that even with GWCT involvement...im sure if the results had shown different results you & the GWCT would have been over the moon! bet you wouldnt have been so quick to dismiss it then

stoats and weasels are in decline are gamekeepers going to do anything to conserve them ?

and why dont the GWCT team up with the highly respected BTO again to see what impact releasing those 40 million game birds is having on some of our wildlife??, its already known that phesants are one of the main causes for the decline in our native reptiles!

i wasnt the one who originally derailed it

and funny but on the grouse moors where predator control is ruthless, devoid of foxes...you'd think hen harriers would thrive wouldnt you?? well NO theyve all gone!!
yet only next door on the Bowland estate, owned by a water company, where foxes are left to their own devices can be found the hen harriers only breeding success! how very odd!!

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/upl...tion/12570.pdf[/QUOTE]

Now, now Noushka, considering I walk my girls on a grouse moor every day, and they roll in fox poo, I think that blows your theory out of the water.

Yes I am against keeping birds in battery conditions, which is why I support shooting, and the raising of birds in this country where conditions are generally better than europe. Or would you prefer that people bought battery birds in neatly packaged polystyrene trays and never had a clue how a bird lived and died?

What isn't under control is the cost of rearing game birds, it's cheaper to buy in from abroad, I personally would like to see that practice banned so we know the quality and welfare of birds in this country.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:20 PM
There is something out there that will take one.

My GWP. My mates GWP aswell.

They have both come back with foxes on walks more than once.

I then have to de flea/tick and wash em as foxes STINK. Can't even put em in the pot either.

Beautiful to look at but, a bluddy menace.

Can't you let the dogs get it?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
i wasnt the one who originally derailed it

and funny but on the grouse moors where predator control is ruthless, devoid of foxes...you'd think hen harriers would thrive wouldnt you?? well NO theyve all gone!!
yet only next door on the Bowland estate, owned by a water company, where foxes are left to their own devices can be found the hen harriers only breeding success! how very odd!!

http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/upl...tion/12570.pdf
Now, now Noushka, considering I walk my girls on a grouse moor every day, and they roll in fox poo, I think that blows your theory out of the water.

Yes I am against keeping birds in battery conditions, which is why I support shooting, and the raising of birds in this country where conditions are generally better than europe. Or would you prefer that people bought battery birds in neatly packaged polystyrene trays and never had a clue how a bird lived and died?

What isn't under control is the cost of rearing game birds, it's cheaper to buy in from abroad, I personally would like to see that practice banned so we know the quality and welfare of birds in this country.[/QUOTE
]

mucky pups!

it doesnt take a genius to work out there are going to be a lot less foxes where predators are ruthlessly controlled

but millions of birds over here are also kept in dreadful battery conditions,... the last government had put in place a ban on battery cages for gamebirds, but when the condems got in their 'animal welfare' minister overturned it! ...along with banning wild animals in circuses..etc, yes hes proved he really cares about animal welfare alright
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Well I just stopped in at a service station on the motorway on my drive from Manchester to Glasgow and the butchers bit was selling pheasant. My local butcher sells it too, as does the Dobbies Garden Centre, so clearly people are eating it here in the UK?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Well I just stopped in at a service station on the motorway on my drive from Manchester to Glasgow and the butchers bit was selling pheasant. My local butcher sells it too, as does the Dobbies Garden Centre, so clearly people are eating it here in the UK?
yes clearly they are, just not that many...as ive already said BASC 'claim' the 80% not eaten here are exported.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:58 PM
To the OP, sorry to hear about your chickens that must have been awful .

Send in the hunt!

Only kidding, gave up hunting when I was about 14. Now a strict vegetarian
Page 29 of 31 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 >