Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Good Post Kammi x
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
we've had 2 cats for 7 years or so, before we moved house, we let them roam during the day but made sure that they were in every night before we went to bed (usually around tea time when they came in for their dinner). the only reason we let them roam was because we knew there weren't any other cats about for them to get hurt by (both cats are spayed females), we backed onto fields and we were far enough from the main road so that they didn't have an interest in gong that way.

where we are now we have had no choice really but to cat-proof the garden as next door keeps racing pigeons. it means they cant go into the fields, but we are closer to the road here so prevents them getting hurt.

they adapted quite well to the different set up here, even when they roamed, they didn't go far. we just have to give them a little more stimulation these days to keep them from going insane.

the only issue we do have now is feral cats, there's 1 that has got into the garden before, couldn't get out because of the cat fencing and ended up chewing on my sisters arm (rabies shots etc quickly followed).

oh and next doors jrt ... escapes nearly every week and were the ones that notice!
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't like cats, find them really unsociable, best way to keep a cat out of your garden is to put a dog in it xD lol. seriously though, I don't care if they're roaming around as long as they stay away from me.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Ok well I am going to add to the "I like cats but..." brigade.

As animals go I do not dislike cats however I do feel that their owners should be made to be more responsible for them as dogs owners are.

As louise said cats are not wild animals they are owned by people and kept as pets and therefore they should be held accountable for their pets actions.

It is 'ok' for a cat to come in of its own accord and prey on my rabbits but it is not ok for my dog to enter the neighbours garden and prey on the cat or other furries - it is double standards. Same as if the cat injures or kills and animal of mine its owners are not liable for the vets bills but in reverse as a dog owner I would be expected to pay for any damage inflicted to a cat or other furry. As someone rightly said earlier if cats are really considered in law to be wild animals then legally dog owners should not have to pay vets bills when their dog injures a cat in the same way they wouldn't if their dog caught a bird or a wild rabbit etc however I notice this is often not the case and dog owners do have to pay for injury inflicted to a cat and therefore the law is of a double standard in itself.

My dogs never strayed over my 6ft back fence until a new family moved in with a cat that they fed over 20ft away from the house right behind my fence line which wound the dogs up enough as it was the cat then started to venture over my fence and craps everywhere if my dog did that I would be fined. I also have/had rabbits that I let free roam my secure garden why should I have to stop doing this so he can have his cat, I very much doubt he would be willing to foot the bills if my rabbit ever got injured on my property by his cat. Dita also hates cats with a passion and it was only a matter of time before she realised if the cat could get over the fence then so could she and started to follow/chase it over funnily enough it didn't take long for him to kick off about my dog being in his garden but had no problem with his cat being in mine - I made it very clear that his standards were double and that if he expected me to keep my dog out of his garden then he needs to ensure he keeps his bloody cat out of mine and that if the day came that my dog did catch his trespassing cat I would not be held accountable. I also asked him what sort of idiot purposely feeds their cat raw meat over 20ft away from their house right behind the fence line of a property that has several dogs in the height of summer when the food will quickly go off and thinks it won't cause issues. Funnily enough he doesn't feed his cat their anymore and we don't see it quite so often.

I am aware this doesn't apply to all cat owners and some are far more responsible but the vast majority are not. I myself had a cat that adapted happily from living as an in & out cat to an indoor cat with supervised stints outside and plenty of toys.

Whilst I agree that physically a cat may not be able to cause the same physical amount of damage to a car that hits it it still has the potential to do just as much damage as dog if the car were to swerve to miss it resulting in the driver hitting another car, wall, tree etc Yet a cat owner would not be held liable whereas a dog owner would be.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Dogs is dogs and cats is cats. I can`t really see the point of comparisons. It`s like comparing horses with canaries.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Why do dog owners have to be responsible for their dogs and yet cat owners do not have to be responsible for their cats?

I would never dream of letting my dog sit on a fence to taunt another animals, foul in other peoples gardens or stalk other peoples pets (my rabbits!).

Im having to proof my garden, not to keep MY pet in (as its already sufficient for that) but to keep someone elses OUT! Its mad!

We insist dogs wear ID but theres no laws for cats. I dont see why they should be allowed to roam either....

"My cat would go nuts if you locked him in, he needs to roam" I hear people say. Ive also heard the same about dogs except they are called 'destructive' or with 'behaviour issies' because they want to be out so much.

Sorry, I just dont see it.
bloody hell I had trouble believing this was serious to start with til I seen the responses

you can keep your rabbit indoors if you dont want a cat getting it, same way a dog can kill a cat that comes in its garden and apparently (going by the other thread at the mo) eight times and counting, is that what you call responsible?
Not all terriers keep going daft at the sight of a cat either as they are trained not to, doesnt mean they like it or it lasts long but still..
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Dogs is dogs and cats is cats. I can`t really see the point of comparisons. It`s like comparing horses with canaries.
exactly

Clearly those who havent got cats or ever had them, just dont realise they are not funny looking dogs
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I'd love to hear about the proven training plans used on cats to stop them going into other gardens, on fences, trees....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jpepper View Post
I would like to know how you cat owners view this.... Because like Stevie already proved. Majority of cat owners deny deny deny. Not saying what he says isn't true just stating the obvious.

So if your cat gets into my yard and gets a chicken what do you think the punishment should be? According to the Texas law it's death.
I think you should get a better chicken run, as big as you like, but secure.

Theres a house here with a chicken run secure enough to be next to a path used heavily by off-lead dog(s) walkers and they are (high up) and fine
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Some Humans can be worst than anything.

Cats taken/stolen for their pelts....sold for making coats etc

Pinched /stolen for dog baiting

People that hate cats so they will fire at them with a air-rifle, often not killing the cat but allowing it to suffer terrible pain, only last year my son noticed one of his cats behaving oddly, when she was examined by a vet she had a pellet lodged behind her eye....causing her to be blind in that eye now.

Aiming cars at them deliberately

Im one of those rare people that do believe cats can be trained to a certain extent, it depends on how much time you put in on them, my cats have great recall, everytime they are out they come as soon as I call them as they know they get a threat as soon as they come in.
Apart from the two brothers (7 months old) all my other cats are in double figures, most of mine have reached 18 plus, and because I know they will come as soon as I call them, I would be worried if they didn't........only time that has happened has been twice....one got shut in a shed next door, and the other shut in our shed when I went to get the horse feed.
Well said.

My cats are the same, one didnt come when she got shut in a garage. Other than that they all came running, even from across in the woods!
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'd love to hear about the proven training plans used on cats to stop them going into other gardens, on fences, trees....
Oh please send it my way when you hear something.
Page 21 of 23 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 >