Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jpepper View Post
I would like to know how you cat owners view this.... Because like Stevie already proved. Majority of cat owners deny deny deny. Not saying what he says isn't true just stating the obvious.

So if your cat gets into my yard and gets a chicken what do you think the punishment should be? According to the Texas law it's death.
Deny what?

If that ever happened I would offer to replace the bird.

However where our cats are concerned this would not happen - this is not denial, it's fact
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:25 PM
And to Stevie I've learned quite a bit about y'alls terms and the way you speak from this forum. Sure you'll do the same with mine.

Trash breaking is a term we use though. Let's say the dog is working a blood trail for deer but winds a rabbit? Well if the dog takes off after that rabbit then it is called trashing. Same as cows, chickens etc.... Have to trash break the dogs. Can you do that sort of thing with a cat? Well I guess you can.... You did say it hangs out in the coop.
My cats/dogs have been brought up with other animals...domestic rats, rabbits chickens, guineapigs horses etc etc

The cats often sleep in the rabbit run getting the sun as the sun moves they will go to the chicken house and do the same....on the other side of the coin, the chickens, rabbit guineapig etc etc are used to the cats and dogs.

I own Border Collies one of which herds the chickens out and in, however she knows NOT to touch them if they are free roaming the garden.

My rabbit gets a free roam everyday again the dogs will watch him but know NOT to touch, if I say...bring him home they will round him up and fetch him back to his cage.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier, numerous people told me you can not have one of those with chickens and small furries however I can as she goes in the chicken run with all the chickens and totally ignores them, but she is just coming into her own as a ratter now she is 17 months old and she sniffs out where the rats are, as do my two 7 month old kittens and they do a tag team effort in catching them.....but they don't bother the chickens or the rabbit, guineapig etc., and lets be honest a guineapig looks like a bigger rat....even my Jack Russell will not go for him, she just washes him
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I forget that I live out in the middle of nowhere with other folks on each side of my property and so on with theirs as well until you get to towns and I'm sure I'm arguing with people who wouldn't/don't have the same problems as I do. So sorry folks for stirring up the pot I'm about to go hit the woods for a few until dark. Good chatting for a few

Love me somr JRT's!!! I'll chime back in tomorrow. Got a heck of a nose on them little ones!!!

I've got two Lacy dogs, two border collies, Argentine dogo, mutt & English bull terrier!
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I am also In Ireland. CPL should be able to give you contact details of people who TNR in your area. If you like to PM me the area where you live, I will attempt to try and find out who your nearest TNR contact/s are
Thanks. We are in Co Galway.

We haven't had a problem with the cats since last year but it is a difficult one when it does happen.

I end up leaving food out for the kittens as I can't just leave them which I know is encouraging them. I then feel mean when I can't let the dogs loose in their own land.

On one occasion I thought it was safe and mother cat had moved the kittens, one of my dogs found them She had just moved them to a different barn and I had searched all over
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Honestly that would be enough for me. Even the apology and effort of coming onto my property and telling me so. Wish people were like that over here.

And Stevie not trying to take shots at you!!! IT's just I stated earlier in my post that most cat owners just deny or won't take responsibility and just not acknowledge the situation. Then you chimed in and said my cats would never and nobody elses would either etc... That sort of thing! Again, ain't trying to call ya out lol that is just the most typical cat owner response.

Maybe where you live it is....but my cats mean a lot to me having had most of them for years, I like to know exactly where they are etc.,
I take full responsibility for my cats as I do for my dogs and other animals, each cat is micro-chipped and its my name my address on it, each cat is neutered (as I said) each cat has their booster vaccs and are wormed and flea'd regular, so therefore I would take responsibility if they became a nuiscance to neighbours, as I say they can be trained if time and effort is put in, as mine know they get a fish treat when they are called....they come. OK it is for the food but this is my way of ensuring they stay around my yard
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
Thanks. We are in Co Galway.

We haven't had a problem with the cats since last year but it is a difficult one when it does happen.

I end up leaving food out for the kittens as I can't just leave them which I know is encouraging them. I then feel mean when I can't let the dogs loose in their own land.

On one occasion I thought it was safe and mother cat had moved the kittens, one of my dogs found them She had just moved them to a different barn and I had searched all over
It's the adults that need trapped & neutered, then there won't be any more kittens. We are shortly going to be in "kitten season" so keep an eye out for nursing mums I've sent emails to couple of folks & will get back to you.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Not read the rest of this thread as it would take ages and I'm tired but just thought I would add in my initial thoughts!

I don't have a cat but we have one that lives next door (with dogs).

To me, cats aren't dogs... I don't expect her to behave like a dog. If she poos in my garden (rarely, but sometimes), I pick it up like I do with dog poo. If she sits on the fence to torment the dog (which she clearly does on purpose ), and Alfie barks, he gets told to be quiet and leave her. Sure she winds him up a bit sometimes by prancing along the fence just out of reach, but again he is just told to be quiet. I don't shoo the cat away. I want Alfie to learn to ignore cats, and she is welcome.

Their other cat got hit by a car, I know it isn't my responsibility but I would much rather have her in my garden than on the street!

(She has never scratched Alfie ever... but) if she ever swiped at Alfie for getting too close (no damage, just a scratch) I wouldn't ban her from the garden either, as to me he has to learn to respect/ignore other animals. Maybe that's just me

Probably a pointless post, but those are my thoughts
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Not read the rest of this thread as it would take ages and I'm tired but just thought I would add in my initial thoughts!

To me, cats aren't dogs... I don't expect her to behave like a dog. If she poos in my garden (rarely, but sometimes), I pick it up like I do with dog poo. If she sits on the fence to torment the dog (which she clearly does on purpose ), and Alfie barks, he gets told to be quiet and leave her. Sure she winds him up a bit sometimes by prancing along the fence just out of reach, but again he is just told to be quiet. I don't shoo the cat away. I want Alfie to learn to ignore cats, and she is welcome.

Their other cat got hit by a car, I know it isn't my responsibility but I would much rather have her in my garden than on the street!

(She has never scratched Alfie ever... but) if she ever swiped at Alfie for getting too close (no damage, just a scratch) I wouldn't ban her from the garden either, as to me he has to learn to respect/ignore other animals. Maybe that's just me

Not pointless at all and one of the most sensible so far.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Good post Kammi
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post

Excellent post! I agree with all of it

I just don't have the energy to care about things I can't do anything about anyway!
Page 20 of 23 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 >