View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:09 AM
It gave me a good excuse to guzzle some bolly! LOVED the whole event.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Pity there are so many continually bemoaning the state of the world/country/society and yet when there is a reason to be happy and to join with sooo many others to celebrate a happy occasion they still wear their faces upside down and whinge.
Be happy for our heads of state, wish them well and be grateful that we can still express an opinion in this country
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2011, 08:15 AM
i cant say i noticed anyone whinging about it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Why is it so awful to not want to get swept up in it? I don`t think much of the Olympics either so maybe I should get the flak jacket ready now?
I was not going to join in the celebrations for this wedding for a variety of reasons. First, I don`t like the cult of celebrity, second, I think weddings are far too overblown now and this will encourage it. Thirdly - the British have always had a pragmatic view of their Royals, which changed with the Diana Effect into a media circus. Fourth - and most importantly - my idea of hell is to sit in a drunken crowd (I don`t drink) in uncomfortable clothes staring at a screen. I don`t like watching tv and I don`t like crowds.
Why the h*ll should I do something I don`t like just because other people are doing it?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
First, I don`t like the cult of celebrity,

i hate that too - im not so sure this applies in this case though?

second, I think weddings are far too overblown now and this will encourage it.

surely thats a good thing?

Thirdly - the British have always had a pragmatic view of their Royals,

i dont agree, before diana it was all subservience and you couldnt even apply constructive criticism. which changed post diana

which changed with the Diana Effect into a media circus.

the downside of diana, we rid ourselves of the subservience only to replace it with the near religious hysterical celebrity worship of diana. fortunately, as a nation, we reappraised this diana effect and came out of it now able to have a more even relationship with the royals, which is shown toward this wedding.

Fourth - and most importantly - my idea of hell is to sit in a drunken crowd (I don`t drink) in uncomfortable clothes staring at a screen. I don`t like watching tv and I don`t like crowds.

blimey....what n'the hell goes on in your home then
im not so sure most of us let our houses be overrun that way when we watched the wedding

Why the h*ll should I do something I don`t like just because other people are doing it?
totally agree.
i enjoyed the wedding.
why should i be bothered if you didnt?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why is it so awful to not want to get swept up in it? I don`t think much of the Olympics either so maybe I should get the flak jacket ready now?
I was not going to join in the celebrations for this wedding for a variety of reasons. First, I don`t like the cult of celebrity, second, I think weddings are far too overblown now and this will encourage it. Thirdly - the British have always had a pragmatic view of their Royals, which changed with the Diana Effect into a media circus. Fourth - and most importantly - my idea of hell is to sit in a drunken crowd (I don`t drink) in uncomfortable clothes staring at a screen. I don`t like watching tv and I don`t like crowds.
I certainly would not call this the 'Cult of celebrity' and in the current climate, lots of people have been scaling back on weddings.

I watched mostly while I was working and then for 20 mins on a sofa with Mum, not a drop of alcohol in sight and just nice to share the occasion and a bit of history.

...and for the record - it is probably the first time I have watched TV for a month or so (as I do not actually have a working one!)

I agree you should not do it just because everyone else does, I would hope most people watched and enjoyed for their own reasons(as I did), not just to be part of the masses.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2011, 08:50 AM
i rarely watch telly as well
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'll bet my last penny that those people who delibretly shunned the event and have been critising the cost,media coverage etc took full advantage of the extra bank holiday on full pay though so makes them big fat hypocrites.If they felt so strongly about it they should have gone to work or if they were closed then help out at an animal rescue centre etc where they cannot close,but we know that just wouldnt happen because everyone loves a freebie dont they.

And for those who are self employed-well you made that choice.

The royal wedding gave the entire planet a little time to forget the global cash crisis and made me proud to say im English.I wish them both well.
I Second the above

Cult of celebrity! you can hardly call a royal wedding the former

It must take an awful lot of effort to be so negative amongst so may well wishers.

From what I saw, it gave people (most) a lift from doom and gloom for a day!

Enjoyed every minute of it, she looked stunning, they looked very much in love, and I enjoyed all the pomp and ceremony that we in the UK do best.

Good luck to them in their new life together.

And long live the royal family
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:03 AM
For a lot of people it was a sharing occassion. A neighbour had a 'wedding breakfast' at their yacht club then went to a street party for a while, another friend ran a street party and posted pics---there were all ages there and having a get together and fun.

It put a little bit more cement on lots of little communities.

Thats good.

rune
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I enjoyed the whole wedding . I thought it was very dignified and the couple looked very happy . Kate was very beautiful and William looked very handsome .
I wish them well
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »