Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:01 AM

Kong/how often do I give it?

I bought Brandie her 1st red kong this week and she loved playing with it and getting the treats out

But it's quite large so I was wondering how often I should give it to her. I suppose it depends on what it's filled with
How often do you give your dogs a stuffed kong? Should I just give her less for dinner and then it won't matter?

She became overweight last year and now that's she's her correct weight I'm a bit paranoid about it

Thanks.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2005, 06:18 AM
The best approach is to work out the ideal amount of food to keep her at her correct weight (which you obviously have already done ), then deduct from her meals the equivalent of what she is getting in her Kong. If you are filling the Kong with non-fattening stuff such as veg then you need not decrease her normal meals by much. But it is as well to remember that vegetables can be quite filling so you need to watch that she keeps eating her 'proper' meals in order that she gets a balanced diet
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Great answer SB. Nothing more to add really. Pleased Brandy likes the kong
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for that

I will just deduct the right amount from her food then. I'm glad she can still enjoy her kong without getting fat!
I don't think there is any need to worry about her not eating her dinner as well though
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Any ideas for what to stuff the kong with. Cassie likes bread/marmite in hers. was thinking of doing a frozen kong, any filling suggestions?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2005, 01:31 PM
One of the following....mashed potato/ cooked rice/ cooked small pasta (if your dog is not wheat intolerant)

mixed well with finely grated veg (carrot, courgette, spinich would give a nice consistance, you can also buy very good frozen chopped spinich )
and one of the following a little grated cheese/ cream cheese/ sardines
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Mini
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Ooh thanks minihaha, I will try those too. I've mainly been filling with carrot!

Wufflehoond, if you search on this section there is a thread on recipes with some kong ideas I think