Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
So what you're saying is you really came here to get opinions that agreed with what you already planned to do (use the collar). Hmmm ok then.

What an interesting thread this is.

Maybe the OP has not seen an argument against their original idea that was strong enough to sway their original view?

SOmetimes I ask peoples views and still stick with my original viewpoint and sometimes I am swayed. Isn't that how discussion works?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Its an interesting misconception that vaccinations make a dog impervious to contageous disease.

One of the very few dogs I know who had Parvo for instance, was vaccinated against it. He did survive after being very ill indeed for many months, but his personality was seriously derranged and he has never been the same since. Very sad.
viral haemoragic diarrhoea can have many strains vaccinating lessons the risk as does not putting your dog in unnecessary situations.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
But on the face of it, I would think a spray collar used out of sight, is far more likely to have an immediate and permanent effect. Indeed I know it can!

I do not advocate aversive methods unless every alternative has been looked at and or tried. But if it is in the best interest of the dog that it experinces and associate with a short term, repeat avoidable, bad experience, then I will go with that.
As you said - I think every alternative needs to be looked at. I agree that eating poo isn't the healthiest of habits, and there could be risks (as myself and others have mentioned - viruses, upset tummies through rich undigested foods in poos, worming products and other chemicals, etc). However, there are several alternatives being totally overlooked here and I think that's what's frustrating people.
Before resorting to aversive methods. Addressing health issues - several people have mentioned that further tests/a change of diet might be worth looking in to, OP has simply stated the dogs diet "seems fine" but I think this needs to be confirmed properly as there's no point treating a behavioural issue that's not actually behavioural. OP could try a muzzle introduced correctly, the dog probably wouldn't mind it. Going somewhere without poo! I simply can't believe that every possible dog walking area available would be covered in that many poos. I rarely come across dog poo on my walks, so perhaps OP needs to slightly inconvenience themselves and go further afield. There are lots of other suggestions on here too, which OP is just finding excuses for rather than a polite "Thanks but I've tried that" or "I'm not sure that will work but thanks for the suggestion and I might give it a try". It definately seems like OP has decided on the collar and isn't willing to budge, and I don't see the point of this thread if OP just wants justification for her decision. At the end of the day it's OP's decision and no one needs to justify themselves to members on here but it seems pointless to start a thread and then ignore the replies you don't like.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
viral haemoragic diarrhoea can have many strains vaccinating lessons the risk as does not putting your dog in unnecessary situations.
Yes that's what I was saying. Vaccination does not make a dog entirely immune. So it is worth discouraging dog poo eating.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Honestly, the best thing I know for this is maintenance. Go out with your pup and clean up IMMEDIATELY afterward. Watch him and as soon as he's done, clean it up (this is what my neighbor does with her dog who ate poop). Then use the "leave it" command when out on walks.

My neighbor's dog is now a couple years old and he's outgrown the poop-eating. She also put him on higher quality food, which may have contributed to its stopping.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes that's what I was saying. Vaccination does not make a dog entirely immune. So it is worth discouraging dog poo eating.
yes,but not being obsessive about doing so and using adversives such as remote collars on a puppy imo.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:04 PM
What an interesting thread this is.

Maybe the OP has not seen an argument against their original idea that was strong enough to sway their original view?

SOmetimes I ask peoples views and still stick with my original viewpoint and sometimes I am swayed. Isn't that how discussion works?
It seems more that every time someone offers a reason why it's not good it's pretty much dismissed out of hand and the collar defended.

If the OP wants to use it, then use it. People have stated their reasons for why it's probably not going to work and why they don't think it's a good idea, but I don't think any of that has been taken to heart. *shrugs*
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
As you said - I think every alternative needs to be looked at. I agree that eating poo isn't the healthiest of habits, and there could be risks (as myself and others have mentioned - viruses, upset tummies through rich undigested foods in poos, worming products and other chemicals, etc). However, there are several alternatives being totally overlooked here and I think that's what's frustrating people.
Before resorting to aversive methods. Addressing health issues - several people have mentioned that further tests/a change of diet might be worth looking in to, OP has simply stated the dogs diet "seems fine" but I think this needs to be confirmed properly as there's no point treating a behavioural issue that's not actually behavioural. OP could try a muzzle introduced correctly, the dog probably wouldn't mind it. Going somewhere without poo! I simply can't believe that every possible dog walking area available would be covered in that many poos. I rarely come across dog poo on my walks, so perhaps OP needs to slightly inconvenience themselves and go further afield. There are lots of other suggestions on here too, which OP is just finding excuses for rather than a polite "Thanks but I've tried that" or "I'm not sure that will work but thanks for the suggestion and I might give it a try". It definately seems like OP has decided on the collar and isn't willing to budge, and I don't see the point of this thread if OP just wants justification for her decision.
Yep I agree, alternatives, should definatly be considered and tried or ruled out first. Particularly diet. Many dogs cease the behaviour after a period on an alternative diet.

personally I couldn't possibly walk my dogs in an area where I could Guarantee no other poo's. I doubt that possible in many areas. And what I always consider in habit based behaviours is that each repeat episode re-enforces the behaviour so makes it more difficult to resolve.

Perhaps I haven't read the thread fully enough as it seems everyone is rather frustratedat the OPs lack of effort... I hadn't read it that way in the original post, perhaps I missed it in later ones?
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post

If the OP wants to use it, then use it. People have stated their reasons for why it's probably not going to work and why they don't think it's a good idea, but I don't think any of that has been taken to heart. *shrugs*
And there are others that have stated that they know it will!

All one can do in ones life is offer ones actual experience. Views also an be offered but hold less credibility without relevant experience, I guess.

I wonder how many people for instance know from experience (as apposed to viewpoint) a collar wouldn't work, versus how many KNOW from experience (as apposed to viewpoint) that it will?

I would guess that more people have actual personal experience of it working than actual personal experience of it failing. But I could be guessing wrong?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 12:13 PM
.... the only time i ever nearly lost my beloved lurcher,was when 'someone elses' dog had a citronella spray on it...my boy heard the sound and 'flight' came into action
Page 8 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »