Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Autumnul Rough!

As requested, haven't posted pictures in a while.
He's nearly one now, a fortnights time infact. He's stillv ery much a puppy and has got a lot of maturing physically and mentally to do, but I'm very pleased with him. He's a very gentle soul, and very easy to train as long as he's motivated right. He's getting darker as the weeks go by as shaded sable's do, as he matures the dark will spread as at nine years old his Sire has an almost completely black back and mane so we shall see how he shapes up. He's still gota bit of growing to do and I feel he will be a lot more traditional than some roughs you can see.
His temperament is quite steady in relation to the breed he is, I wouldn't say he's as nervy as some but he is quite sharp...he could of easily been a car/wheel chaser or ankle biter if not brought up properly...we have to go over these principals every now and then.
He's a wonderful lad tis Hunter, and it's been a pleasure raising him. I can't believe he's a year old so soon, so much has happened and changed during the time he's been with me that I'm always surprised the chops and changes haven't had more of an impact. But he's quite happy
He shows lots of interest in herding so I feel when he's older I may give him a go on a relative's small flock of jacobs, he's been pestering their chickens and ducks since I first took him to their place as a little fuzzy puppy so! I may give him a go at agility or obedience maybe too, as he is a very driven dog...a far cry from the airhead persona that tends to go hand in hand with roughs nowdays.
He never looks a glamourpuss as his kin often do, he's always somewhat shaggy as he's usually slightly soggy or been bounding through hedges and doesn't stay tidy looking for long so i gave in long ago expecting him to look pristine it's just not him!

This is a memory I have of walking with my grand & great grandparents roughs when I was knee high to a grasshopper, the view of them galloping back too you is one of the best bits of them I think. He has great and very steady movement, not at all shuffle like.

Strongly resembling a lion. The pose which imminantly leads to a strange burst of energy that comes hurtling towards you in a flurry of mud, hair and slobber.

Eyeing up a very noisey and annoying cocker on a flexi.

And being a show off in the leaves, half of which he brought home with him.

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Oh He is really handsome Luke. He looks fantastic. I especially love the fourth photo down of him. How tall is he now?

I am loving the sound of his temperament. He does sound much more like the Roughs I remember as a child, rather than the ones I have met as an adult.

More pics please!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I thought you'd like Kirsty, he is quite tall in comparisson to some I've seen. I'll have a measure but he's sort of border collie size currently, but he's got more growing to do. He is a lovely lad, with age and a bit more focus I think the "sharpness" may level out a bit so he isn't as reactive to things that move fast and are noisey, he chases plans when they fly overhead the daft sod! But he is entirely in love with humans, not at all shy or aloof as some RC you see today are. Everyone on walks comments how unusually friendly he is..he seeks attention out. I do wonder if the whole inbreeding bottleneck within this breed really has affected the soundness of temperaments so badly, maybe it's coincidence but H's COI is quite a bit lower than the breed average, and much lower than most of his breed. I do often wonder, and our vet does too, whether this lower level of in/line breeding in him is reflected within his temperament. He is a snob through and through though so! I'll try post a few more photos! He is quite "old fashioned" not just in looks but outlook to life, I do quite like how he has a more "solid" yet noble head that I like as opposed to being very narrow or even beaky. I'd quite happily have another further down the line, he's everything I want and require in a dog. I think I'd probably stick to dogs as opposed to bitches now too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Such a handsome boy! xx
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Oh! my , he is handsome, indeed. You take very good care of his coat as well, good for you....we see so many at the shop that are matted beyond belief so it is very nice to see one so well groomed.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Thankyou both He doesn't take that much grooming, maybe once or twice a week he has a good going through. He remains quite neat and knot free surprisingly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Looks a picture!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Beautiful dog & great photos.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I thought you'd like Kirsty, he is quite tall in comparisson to some I've seen. I'll have a measure but he's sort of border collie size currently, but he's got more growing to do. He is a lovely lad, with age and a bit more focus I think the "sharpness" may level out a bit so he isn't as reactive to things that move fast and are noisey, he chases plans when they fly overhead the daft sod! But he is entirely in love with humans, not at all shy or aloof as some RC you see today are. Everyone on walks comments how unusually friendly he is..he seeks attention out. I do wonder if the whole inbreeding bottleneck within this breed really has affected the soundness of temperaments so badly, maybe it's coincidence but H's COI is quite a bit lower than the breed average, and much lower than most of his breed. I do often wonder, and our vet does too, whether this lower level of in/line breeding in him is reflected within his temperament. He is a snob through and through though so! I'll try post a few more photos! He is quite "old fashioned" not just in looks but outlook to life, I do quite like how he has a more "solid" yet noble head that I like as opposed to being very narrow or even beaky. I'd quite happily have another further down the line, he's everything I want and require in a dog. I think I'd probably stick to dogs as opposed to bitches now too.
I think I could still be tempted by the right type of Rough in the future Luke, and I am really liking the look/sound of Hunter. I can't wait to see him when he is fully mature.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thankyou both He doesn't take that much grooming, maybe once or twice a week he has a good going through. He remains quite neat and knot free surprisingly.
That is fab, as one of the downsides (for me) of longcoated breeds is the amount of grooming they need.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >