Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Anyone got any stewarding tips ?

I've been asked to help steward at an Open show in August and i'm a bit nervous, I've read what i can find on stewarding and i'm looking forward to it but thought it might be helpful to ask if there's any handy tips that would be helpful to know
Thanks
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
A couple of spare pens & a pencil if its outside as they are better when its damp. Make sure you chat with your judge as some do things differently. Also make sure you know where ring numbers are from as some societies give them out beforehand & some you have them to hand out in ring. This can confuse some new showers who may assume they are in the ring when they need to collect them before hand.
Good luck & enjoy
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok. You want to set up your stewarding bag. Take lots of pens, a clip board if you have one or make one with a bulldog clip. Some stones (if you're judging outside) to hold down the paperwork. Hopefully as this is your first time, you will be put with an experienced Steward. Go early, introduce yourself. There are two jobs for the steward, one is running the ring and the other filling the paperwork at the table. If you're stewarding all day, i would say do them separately. Ask the steward your working with to go through all the paperwork. You should get a ring box with all the paperwork, rosettes etc in for each breed plus all the judges catalogues. Go through these and sort them in order so your prepared. The more you do before the judging starts the better. Remember you are there to assist the judge. So greet each judge and check with them how they want to run the ring, ie, where he wants his winners stood etc. You will need to write the results in the judges catalogue for them so they can refer to them later for critiques. Remember to check the ring for any foreign objects when you arrive. If you have time get the Stewarding book from the Kennel Club shop. I think it is called judging and stewarding, but it's very helpful. There's a lot to take in for your first one. Hopefully the steward you're with will give you loads of help. The important thing is have fun
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
A couple of spare pens & a pencil if its outside as they are better when its damp. Make sure you chat with your judge as some do things differently. Also make sure you know where ring numbers are from as some societies give them out beforehand & some you have them to hand out in ring. This can confuse some new showers who may assume they are in the ring when they need to collect them before hand.
Good luck & enjoy
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Ok. You want to set up your stewarding bag. Take lots of pens, a clip board if you have one or make one with a bulldog clip. Some stones (if you're judging outside) to hold down the paperwork. Hopefully as this is your first time, you will be put with an experienced Steward. Go early, introduce yourself. There are two jobs for the steward, one is running the ring and the other filling the paperwork at the table. If you're stewarding all day, i would say do them separately. Ask the steward your working with to go through all the paperwork. You should get a ring box with all the paperwork, rosettes etc in for each breed plus all the judges catalogues. Go through these and sort them in order so your prepared. The more you do before the judging starts the better. Remember you are there to assist the judge. So greet each judge and check with them how they want to run the ring, ie, where he wants his winners stood etc. You will need to write the results in the judges catalogue for them so they can refer to them later for critiques. Remember to check the ring for any foreign objects when you arrive. If you have time get the Stewarding book from the Kennel Club shop. I think it is called judging and stewarding, but it's very helpful. There's a lot to take in for your first one. Hopefully the steward you're with will give you loads of help. The important thing is have fun
Thank you both so much for that help,I have read the 'guide for judges and stewards' on the KC website and saved it to my favourites to reread and reread and reread I'm being thrown in at the deep end as they are a steward short,it is something i've wanted to learn for a while..I will just have to try my best in the short time i've had to prepare,I'm looking forward to it albeit i'm a bit anxious about not having learned by helping out first
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Have you told them you've never stewarded? If you are going to be the only steward in the ring then i would say get there really early before the show opens and get everything sorted out regards class cards etc, get them all in order. It will save you stress later. Even write yourself an order of things to be done. Keep calm and enjoy it. After your first breed is done it'll get easier
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2012, 07:55 AM
before judging starts ask the judge if he/she would prefer you to mark up their judging book . some do it themselves others don't.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Have you told them you've never stewarded? If you are going to be the only steward in the ring then i would say get there really early before the show opens and get everything sorted out regards class cards etc, get them all in order. It will save you stress later. Even write yourself an order of things to be done. Keep calm and enjoy it. After your first breed is done it'll get easier
Originally Posted by rough View Post
before judging starts ask the judge if he/she would prefer you to mark up their judging book . some do it themselves others don't.
Yep i did tell them i had never done it,Thank you both, The show was this week and i learnt so much,fortunately another judge stepped in to help steward so i wasn't on my own,I'm rather glad as i would have been useless by myself till i'd got the hang of it,she was very kind,explained everything every step of the way and gave me lots of advice,The judge that we stewarded for was also very kind and chatted briefly to me afterwards,While i didn't think it would be easy there was alot more to do than i thought ! When the larger classes were on it was great to have time to watch the hounds in the ring more closely,by the time we did the Group i was really enjoying it as opposed to feeling flustered albeit my brain was a bit frazzled
All in all it was a great learning curve,Thanks again