View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Watched another 15 minutes (half way through now) and my opinion hasn't changed.

What a knob that trainer is "Africa isn't for sissies" - I suppose 'sissies' are only born in the West

And I think they are being grossly unfair to Hollie - she clearly said she miss-heard the buffoon - but still got a rollicking for it.

I really do despise this sort of TV :/ and expected much more from the BBC - particularly to show the decent way to train, not the 'You have to be the dominant pack leader ra ra ra crap'.

Rant over

(Will watch the rest tonight lol)
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I know where you are coming from Azz. One reason I hated the other BBC 3 programme was all the tough stuff, people set up for being put down and so on.

I have mixed views, but it is better than I thought in some ways.

I'm very interested in the whole poaching problem - didn't realise they also used snares, I thought most animals were stalked and shot by poachers... so sad that in spite of everything the rhinos are on the decline.

Hope the dogs can make a difference.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Something I meant to comment on when watching the programme was they said that a Mali can track faster than a bloodhound? Is that right? If so, I am impressed!

I wonder, I imagine that they are literally "faster" in the sense of being so light and fast anyway. Perhaps they suit the terrain much better than the heavier bloodhound?

Not sure but an interesting comment, I agree

Wys
x
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Just seen a trailer for a new dog training show on bbc3 called ''dont blame the dog''...
Anyone have more info???
Murf - I tried to watch it tonight, lasted about 1 minuute and 30 seconds, is this really the type of people who are getting dogs it was disgusting, I try to avoid comming into contact with such humans whenever possible and I certainly don't want to watch them on TV.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
A Malinois is more suited to the environmental conditions in South Africa and of course they do not just track, unlike Bloodhounds!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Ok going to think about the bigger picture here.
Firstly I think the purpose of this series will become more apparent as it develops.

They are trying to address the labels that dogs have acquired through no fault of their own - the two owners on programme 1 were guilty of:
Fashion Accessory
and
Status Symbol.

They were taken into a situation where dogs mean much more than that: they work; they benefit humankind; they have a proper job.

I understand the next programme sends dog owners to a giant shelter in Australia. I can guess at the message intended there - Dogs are not disposable, and should never be bred for the fun of it.

Secondly, I am wondering about these BBC3 shows such as World's Strictest Parents etc which this seems to echo. Could it be that the ratings for these shows are good, and if the teens themselves aren't watching them, their parents, relatives, teachers, social workers etc etc are? and there is more chance of a message getting through?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Cannot rep you but good post. I am not sure whether the vast majority of those who watch such programmes do so to learn or to feel smug and marvel, a bit like watching Jeremy Vile?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Just think, 25year ago they would have been sent to train with Babs Woodhouse ,she would have got them to use a choke chain too....
Sit!! Walkies!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, but Babs was never as "exotic"............
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
who would have won in a fight between her and Fanny Craddock do you think...??
Page 7 of 43 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »