View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I have no problems with other people feeding the dogs a treat - imo it's good for the dog to view all people as potential sources of good stuff, not just one person.

They also very often stay at other people's houses - it's good to know they can cope without our presence and in different environments should anything happen. We were both ill with a flu bug all last week, so it was good to know that other people could come in and take the dogs out for a few hours without any problems.

Equally we will be on holiday for three weeks in the summer, the dogs will be staying with friends and we know they are fine as they are used to being shipped about to various people.

As long as they aren't being outright cruel to the dog, other people can treat them how they wish - if they want to end up with the dogs staring at them while they eat, that's up to them! My sister allows them on her sofa, here we do not. The dogs know the difference. If she wants a dirty sofa, up to her.

Copper does has a bad habit of jumping up on people to greet them. But it's our fault for being to lazy to train him otherwise.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
My old dad has had dogs for over 70years and if he wants to give Oz some of his food or leftovers who am i to say dont do it.lol
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 12:20 PM
i dont mind mine being fed scraps or treats from my nana or mum.. anyone else does tend to ask first if its ok, and i i usually let them, providing the dogs have eaten their meals, and are not scrounging for the food in the first place.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I have no problems with other people feeding the dogs a treat - imo it's good for the dog to view all people as potential sources of good stuff, not just one person.

They also very often stay at other people's houses - it's good to know they can cope without our presence and in different environments should anything happen. We were both ill with a flu bug all last week, so it was good to know that other people could come in and take the dogs out for a few hours without any problems.

Equally we will be on holiday for three weeks in the summer, the dogs will be staying with friends and we know they are fine as they are used to being shipped about to various people.

As long as they aren't being outright cruel to the dog, other people can treat them how they wish - if they want to end up with the dogs staring at them while they eat, that's up to them! My sister allows them on her sofa, here we do not. The dogs know the difference. If she wants a dirty sofa, up to her.

Copper does has a bad habit of jumping up on people to greet them. But it's our fault for being to lazy to train him otherwise.
I feel exactly the same.

Life is too short to stress about little things. I'd spend my whole life in some blind panic if I felt I had to control every aspect of my dogs life. Or indeed, if I felt I had to control the interactions of everyone who came into contact with them.

I'm more than happy for others to feed, play, walk (two of out of the three -- Bo is a bit trickier because of her sometimes potentially dangerous behaviour!), train, treat, etc., my dogs provided no one is getting hurt.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I ask people not to feed him at the table. If they ignore me I don't really care - I'm not the one that has to deal with "This person gave me food - they'll do it again. Oh go on. Go on. Anything for me?"

I also try to discourage people from playing the fightey Bitey game. Fail on that too.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I warn people. If they go ahead they take the consequences. Being mugged by 3 big dogs is a life-changing experience.
ozbound
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-01-2012, 12:41 PM
My mum is the only other person that will have BoB away from home overnight if I can't take him to work with me if I have appointments or meetings. And she knows my rules under no circumstances will he be given human food or be allowed near the dinner table while we are eating.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I dont like other people feeding my dogs treats. This is because I watch carefully what they eat and they've also developed a bad habit of scrounging from people who have fed them treats previously.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I warn people. If they go ahead they take the consequences. Being mugged by 3 big dogs is a life-changing experience.
Similar here. My family and friends have heard enough horror stories about Cain that they tend to do exactly as I say If not, on their head be it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't like bad habits either, especially that begging when you're eating. I'm guilty of handing Zena something off my plate when I've finished, purely because she sits well away from me when I sit down and wouldn't dream of coming near to ask for anything, so she gets something, sometimes. My hubby cringes when he sees me doing this as it's his pet hate, he would never, ever give her anything from his plate, but funny how it's him that she sits there and waits whilst he eats and he has to send her away, whereas I never have to do that, she's already gone lol!

Another bad habit I stop people doing is to ask me if it's ok to give her a little treat when we're out. There's a group of dog walkers who stand on my village green every morning (armed with their chuckits!), just letting their dogs run around, and each one of them is armed with pocketfuls of treats, and they just hand them out willy nilly to all the different dogs for some strange reason , which resulted in my older dog going up to people sniffing their pockets I hate that, so not only do I avoid them all now, but I don't let anyone give her anything when we're out. She's not used to it, even from me, and I don't want her to be sniffing people's pockets, I'd much rather she just lets them give her a gentle stroke, and leave the treating to me when she's earned it!

Dogs on furniture, mine have never wanted to and have never got on it, none of them, and that's not because they've been told off for getting up there, it's just something none of them have ever done. My step sister used to come round to our house with her little dogs and they'd all jump up and run around on my furniture which didn't impress me at all! So, if I have dogs who don't get up on the furniture at home, they won't do it anywhere else we're invited to (I hope!).

Whingeing in the car, another bad habit (of Georgie's!), drives me nuts, but the more I tell him to shut up, the worse he is, but it's pure excitement of going out for a walk, so I let him off, but I do consider it a very bad habit. Zena copies when he's with us too, but thankfully, she knows to be quiet when he's not with us which is good enough for me.

Another bad habit is letting them just steam out of the car when we get to our walk and zoom off, so that's a big no-no here too. They have to "wait" until I clip the leads on and get out as sedately as possible and walk onlead for at least 2 mins before I let them off. It sooooo annoys me at different car parks, where people just open the back of their car and let their dogs leap out, barking and zooming all over the place causing havoc to everyone else!

Blimey, sounds like the Gestapo are in charge here doesn't it, but I do like my dogs to have some manners, same as I would with a child, and they don't mind, I'm sure they still love me!!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >