View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:30 AM
@Rune - there are TWO springer litters currently advertised in my local paper; both are docked, one states 'from working lines', the other states 'suitable for pet or working homes'. I would have thought that if they are advertising in local paper they are more likely to get pet buyers...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:36 AM
The docking arguement is obviously linked to the showing one----if the dogs weren't docked they could be shown no problems!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by boredinstroud View Post
@Rune - there are TWO springer litters currently advertised in my local paper; both are docked, one states 'from working lines', the other states 'suitable for pet or working homes'. I would have thought that if they are advertising in local paper they are more likely to get pet buyers...
Yep----they are just docking anyway.

It'll stop as the demand stops---if people ring up and don't buy because they are docked it'll have a knock on effect. It'll take a while I expect.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The docking arguement is obviously linked to the showing one----if the dogs weren't docked they could be shown no problems!

rune
What about those that work and show? Why should they be punished? Or their dogs in fact.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I can't read the link - it won't open for me, but ............

Isn't the question, 'fit for whose function'?

I can never understand why people think it's wrong to breed to excess for cosmetics to satisfy those who prefer noses so squat that they impede breathing function, backs so long that spinal injuries occur, heads so flat that the brain has no room to grow and yet think it's ok to lop bits of a dog to satisfy their needs.

Taking it further, every human has a useless appendix that runs the risk of causing pain later in life and may need to be removed. The tail docking arguments could apply to this useless bit of kit so should people have to have their appendix removed during the first few days of life? I think not, neither do I believe that a dog should have bits removed 'just in case'
Try telling that to thousands of Vets and rescues!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Try telling that to thousands of Vets and rescues!
I do

Docking is nothing but mutilation to satisfy the whims of people. If a dog isn't considered fit to do a job unless it has an amputation then the job is wrong, not the dog
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I do

Docking is nothing but mutilation to satisfy the whims of people. If a dog isn't considered fit to do a job unless it has an amputation then the job is wrong, not the dog
So apart from the fact that it's been bred to hunt, point, retrieve, flush, etc, and does that all perfectly, we should give up on the many years of breeding because it's tail is too long?

Nobody's answered my point about the thousands upon thousands of animals bred for the table that are altered to prevent injury/illness, so we can eat them. I'm sorry, but we change our domesticated animals in many ways to fit in with our life styles. And yet injury prevention is frowned upon
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I do

The "just in case argument" does that also include, chopping a dogs bits off, just in case he gets out and nabs a bitch, or gets testicular cancer in the future, or pees in the house, or gets uppity with other dogs, taking a bitches reproductive organs out , "justincase " she gets pregnant, is in danger of infection or mammary tumors, soiling the new carpet ..

As your argument is ....

neither do I believe that a dog should have bits removed 'just in case'
Should that not include all of the above, or are you cherry picking what counts as a "just in case"!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
So apart from the fact that it's been bred to hunt, point, retrieve, flush, etc, and does that all perfectly, we should give up on the many years of breeding because it's tail is too long?

Nobody's answered my point about the thousands upon thousands of animals bred for the table that are altered to prevent injury/illness, so we can eat them. I'm sorry, but we change our domesticated animals in many ways to fit in with our life styles. And yet injury prevention is frowned upon
No they wont, just as no one had given an answer to my question either

but the lunacy of not allowing docked dogs (after 07) to be shown at some shows!

No body here has yet to come up with a good reason to support the restriction.
The topic of the article is being ignored (some not even bothering to read it) as usual,

Again for those who are not reading the article,

Its not about whether or not you agree with docking, but the lunacy of not being able to show docked dogs (from 07) at some shows , yet you can at others!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I do

How can it be? Right from the very creation of these breeds?
Page 8 of 29 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »