Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Maybe I wasn't explicit enough regarding the westie:

I let locky off to approach a dog/owner who are both fine with him - one of his small gang of friends. He ran over said his greeting, had a head rub from the owner.

Then he saw what I hadn't. A woman behind a bush with a westie on lead - the westie didn't run at him, he (Locky) went over to them, and I'd lost control of him.

As I was going over, Locky and the westie were face to face, something happened, Locky gave a quick growl and a snap then left.

It might not sound like much, but previously (more than 12 months ago) if a dog came to him in that manner, he'd pin it to the ground.

How did he get like this ? Well I'm not certain, and I don't know what went on in the first 10 years of his life but when I first got him he was snapped at by a couple of smaller dogs - he just lifted his head and looked the other way (I can still hear the llaugh of the owners and the comment " he might be small but he's letting him know who's park this is"). There were also 3 seperate occaisions that I can recall where a large dog ran at him and attacked him. I'm willing to describe it as an attack as I turned him around to try and get him away and the other dogs bit him (on the side of his neck, or on his back).

He seemed to learn to "get in first " so to speak.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:03 AM
PS - whenever i see the phrase OC, all i can think about is pouting troubled rich kids, the Tefal Head advert and officially approved mental torture of children
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Maybe I wasn't explicit enough regarding the westie:

I let locky off to approach a dog/owner who are both fine with him - one of his small gang of friends. He ran over said his greeting, had a head rub from the owner.

Then he saw what I hadn't. A woman behind a bush with a westie on lead - the westie didn't run at him, he (Locky) went over to them, and I'd lost control of him.

As I was going over, Locky and the westie were face to face, something happened, Locky gave a quick growl and a snap then left.

It might not sound like much, but previously (more than 12 months ago) if a dog came to him in that manner, he'd pin it to the ground.

How did he get like this ? Well I'm not certain, and I don't know what went on in the first 10 years of his life but when I first got him he was snapped at by a couple of smaller dogs - he just lifted his head and looked the other way (I can still hear the llaugh of the owners and the comment " he might be small but he's letting him know who's park this is"). There were also 3 seperate occaisions that I can recall where a large dog ran at him and attacked him. I'm willing to describe it as an attack as I turned him around to try and get him away and the other dogs bit him (on the side of his neck, or on his back).

He seemed to learn to "get in first " so to speak.
no biggee then really

if he just snapped the other day, whereby he used to pin a year ago, dont sweat it.
he got a surprise, there isnt really a 'training setback'.

you are already in the right place yourself, as you are trying to understand your dog.
its just a glitch, adapt and move on.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
think about it: really study the statement, break it down:
"a few seconds has undone 1 years work"

I mean, really??
Well no, not really. I don't really think that all that has been learned over the past 12 months has been forgotten, but there again that's probably not what you meant either.

The full meaning of what's being said can get lost in a brief message on a forum, but effect of yesterday has been on my confidence with him meeting other dogs.

I've gone from assuming he'll go for any dog that comes close enough, to believing he can get on with pretty much any dog if given the chance and introduced properly.

But have now gone back somewhat with the thought of introducing him to other dogs.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Well no, not really. I don't really think that all that has been learned over the past 12 months has been forgotten, but there again that's probably not what you meant either.

Yes, i was questionning if you truly beleived that, as it is a common position statement you will hear from people that have been conditioned the OC line sold by many trainers today of systemmatic litle step by litte step one direction forward.
thats why you hear frustrations like yours on forums often.
ie, "i have been traching my dog not to react to strange dogs and this bla bla person let their dog run up to my on-lead dog in the park/field etc.
i was furious, as it has set back all my work"

but that's just a mindset, and isnt really the case.

The full meaning of what's being said can get lost in a brief message on a forum, but effect of yesterday has been on my confidence with him meeting other dogs.

that is what i meant.......their isnt a canine anxiety regarding progress when such incidents happen, it's a human anxiety.
training is all about tapping into the instincts and intuition of the dog, human, and situation.
its all about recognising what you need to and then just seeing a kink in the road, not a setback to several roads hence.
the truth is unsystemmatic desensitisation

I've gone from assuming he'll go for any dog that comes close enough, to believing he can get on with pretty much any dog if given the chance and introduced properly.

but, truly, deeply, what is there that makes this reality different?

But have now gone back somewhat with the thought of introducing him to other dogs.
that's fine too.
a good trainer cannot work on a dog's mindset until they work on their own first.
you could meditate over the event?
that's not the same as saying one years work has gone out the window.
so you need to ask yourself why you are furious, and whom are you furious at?

if we must talk about paths (but i prefer meandering meadows myself), then i would say you sound like you are on a good one today.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
MichalM
I know your pain, really I do
Everyone has good days and bad days, how I always looks at it is 18 months ago every day was a bad day - now I can go weeks without a bad day - looking at the big picture that is fab progress
He has come on great, can't remember the last time I had a bad day with him to be honest.

MichalM

and TBH going by what you said there the behaviour really wasnt so bad, one snap at a dog that startled him, I know people who have dogs they think they have no issues with who are far worse than that

Your dog sounds a bit unconfident, jumpy not sure of other dogs
Ignore what everyone else is saying - do YOU really think an e collar will help build his confidence??
In the grand scheme things maybe it wasn't so bad, but from previous he/I have a bit of a reputation. It's a shame, because everyone who's actually met adores him.

MichalM

Your dog sounds a bit unconfident, jumpy not sure of other dogs
Ignore what everyone else is saying - do YOU really think an e collar will help build his confidence??
As I just said, Locky (ok I) has/have a bit of a reputation. I reached the stage where either we'll allow the dogs to go nose to behind both ways, then face to face then off lead, or, I'll allow him off lead to do the introduction himself. I don't believe he'll simply launch into an unprovoked full on attack.

I suspect the best thing that could have happened yesterday would have been for her to let her dog go ! I could see her tensing up, and she knows that I normally keep him on lead around other dogs. Then something happened between the dogs, Locky snapped, and off he went. My fault I know for letting him off in the first place.

I don't think an e collar will do anything for his confidence, it's the recall I want to sort.

In an open area without distractions, I can control him within about 10m, I use a long line but rarely have to take hold of it. But, if he gets anywhere near the bushes/long grass he'll ignore me. If I give a quick pull on the line I might be able to get his attention in which case I can call him. Ifhe's found something interesting to sniff at then I can't even get his head up - it's this that I need/want to break, his focus on other things.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Is it OK to ask how he is now better behaved - ie what were you told to do about it, how has the problem been tackled?
I'm guessing he was lunging at other dogs previously?
Dogs who have arthritis can be like this as in some cases, they are afraid of other dogs getting too close.
Then they realise lunging works, then you have a strong learning and reward situation
He's calmer, I can walk nicely on a loose lead (my arm was straigh t for the first of weeks I had him), he pays more attention to me, he'll leave things when I say. He doesn't whine/pine as much when he sees otyer dogs, although he doesn't completely ignore another dog walking by, he'll sit or lie and watch it go past (in close proximity ) without trying to tapproach it.

He's allround better behaved, more relaxed, more sociable.

He did get to the point where he wanted to pull towards other dogs, but we're past that now(onlead).

He has arthritis, loose ligaments in his shoulders, and cataract in one eye. Old age type ailments I suppose, but we keep him pain free through medication.

Why does he have no recall in other environments? I mean do you know the reason for this at all?
Have you been shown how to train for distractions and how to graduate from house to garden to quiet area to slightly more distractive, etc etc?
I don't know. Maybe it's because he was nearly 10 years old when we got him and appeared to have had no training other than "paw". He didn't know sit, down, and pulled like a train on lead (all rectified I might add !).

Maybe it's because he's a GSD/Husky cross (though we think it's probably malamute judging by his build).

He's been to an intensive recall workshop and attended lessons pretty much weekly since we've had him. I've put more time and effort into training with Locky than was needed with my 2 other GSD's who are really well behaved with absolutely bombproof recall - if a rabbit/squirrel/deer suddenly pops up whilst we're walking along and they give chase, I can call them off. I'm 100% confident in them. If we are walking more "formally" and they are to heel, they won't even attempt to chase (though they will look at me as though asking for permission).

Perhaps he'll never have a recall like the other 2, but there's no reason to try .

Or are you concerned he may go for other dogs, rather than recll?
As I mentioned, the other 2 are bombproof in all ways. Rightly or wrongly I feel a sense of responsibility in owning GSD's as I'm aware of peoples perception of them.

I can't/won't have them running up to people worrying them. It's only ever onlead that he's actually fought/pinned another dog, but what happened yesterday just adds fuel to the fire of predjudice against GSD's.

I don't actually believe he'll approach another dog and start a sustained fight, but if the other dog "rejects " him (for want of a better description) he'll growl/snap and leave - but that in itself is enough to scare many people, and lets face it, I shouldn't be allowing that to happen.

That is heartwarming to read, and really good for him and I suspect you also, to see him playing
Melts my heart - I love him to bits.

I'd like to see this on a video. It's hard to tell from your post but if it was an air snap, I'd say considering he was surprised, he actually behaved very well?
I wonder what you think now that you know that it was him who approached the westie.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 04:29 PM
So Locky is a GSD x Husky or mal who's going on 12, and you've worked with him for 18 months? Sounds as though you have made wonderful progress with this guy. I'd continue with what you are doing with the training and long line etc. I'm sure he has a great quality of life with you. Don't be disheartened by the Westie incident, as you say not too long ago he would have pinned it. Think of what you have achieved and you will be surprised.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Rune
The dog won't associate the stim with other dogs if you start the recall training just with the command and stim to teach him how it works. If you only used the e collar to enforce recall off other dogs he might associate the stim with that. However plenty of people do it like this with no problem.
Re if a dog attacks the e collar trained dog, basically the e collar allows you to enforce a return to you instead of a fight, when the dog gets back to you you can repell the other dog as needed. This will help your dog realise you can deal with threats, he doesn't have to.

WW
BB are great for getting out of guarantes. Apparently he wasn't doing the training right (I didn't press for details) so no refund. I might have felt a bit guilty charging him alot in those circumstances tbh.

MichaelM

Rocky seems to have made good progress. The e collar could either be used to teach him not to react to other dogs in an aggressive fashion, or used to enforce the recall.
I find both things improve the dogs confidence. Pming offer still stands.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
What I said---rock and hard place----stay put and get a shock or try and get back to owner thus turning your back on a threat and possibly being bitten!

Terrible!

rune
Page 45 of 77 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »