View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
As with all things, it's down to the indvidual dog. I don't have the facility to let Jobie run offlead any more (he's unpredictable with other dogs, high prey drive and has a typical hound recall so it had to be somewhere securely fenced with no chance of running into other animals, unfortunately I don't have access to the place we used to use and there are no other practical options available ) but he isn't bothered in the slightest by that. The vast majority of his off-leash time he spent trotting around sniffing things, exactly as he does when he's on leash! I love to see him run but even when I tried to coax him in to it 9 times out of 10 he wouldn't, lazy beggar.
I think that there are undoubtedly many many dogs who greatly benefit from off leash time, but I wouldn't say that it would be detrimental to the wellbeing of any dog to be on leash permanently- even if they were used to being offleash all the time they would eventually adapt, and so long as their exercise/mental stimulation requirements are fulfilled then they'll be happy. And if they're never allowed offleash, how can they have a concept of 'freedom'? If they haven't experienced it they won't know they're missing anything.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
FCR's are primarily retrievers, I would argue that their energy levels arent as high as the spaniels or the HPR's. If you look at the work a retriever does, it's vastly different to the breeds which hunt and need to sustain their energy levels and stamina. I'm not saying it's impossible for working breeds to be fulfilled on a lead but lets face it, out of the thousands of people who own springers and keep them on a lead, how many bother to put in the time and effort needed to keep that dog from going insane?

Us Dogsey members are the minority dog owners who actually want to understand our dogs and do the absolute best by them. Thats 15,000 out of 5 million (Google statistic!) dog owners. I would say there are alot of dogs suffering out there because they do not get a good run or a sufficient alternative.
And that is what this thread is about - can you provide a sufficient alternative - or is it possible to.

Again - I say I have never tried with Trip....but I think it is possible.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
FCR's are primarily retrievers, I would argue that their energy levels arent as high as the spaniels or the HPR's. If you look at the work a retriever does, it's vastly different to the breeds which hunt and need to sustain their energy levels and stamina. I'm not saying it's impossible for working breeds to be fulfilled on a lead but lets face it, out of the thousands of people who own springers and keep them on a lead, how many bother to put in the time and effort needed to keep that dog from going insane?

Us Dogsey members are the minority dog owners who actually want to understand our dogs and do the absolute best by them. Thats 15,000 out of 5 million (Google statistic!) dog owners. I would say there are alot of dogs suffering out there because they do not get a good run or a sufficient alternative.
Leanne I don't disagree with you at all.
All I am saying is that a dog does not NEED offlead exercise, it's nice for it, but it can be fulfilled with well thought out onlead exercise.Actually, well thought out onlead exercise can tire dogs out much more than a 'good run'

The original question was do dogs need a good run...my answer is no they don't NEED it...it's nice for them to have it, but they can lead fulfilled lives without.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
As with all things, it's down to the indvidual dog. I don't have the facility to let Jobie run offlead any more (he's unpredictable with other dogs, high prey drive and has a typical hound recall so it had to be somewhere securely fenced with no chance of running into other animals, unfortunately I don't have access to the place we used to use and there are no other practical options available ) but he isn't bothered in the slightest by that. The vast majority of his off-leash time he spent trotting around sniffing things, exactly as he does when he's on leash! I love to see him run but even when I tried to coax him in to it 9 times out of 10 he wouldn't, lazy beggar.
I think that there are undoubtedly many many dogs who greatly benefit from off leash time, but I wouldn't say that it would be detrimental to the wellbeing of any dog to be on leash permanently- even if they were used to being offleash all the time they would eventually adapt, and so long as their exercise/mental stimulation requirements are fulfilled then they'll be happy. And if they're never allowed offleash, how can they have a concept of 'freedom'? If they haven't experienced it they won't know they're missing anything.
I agree. Great post.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
In temperament and activity level.
So your dog is an aggressive couch potato?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
And that is what this thread is about - can you provide a sufficient alternative - or is it possible to.

Again - I say I have never tried with Trip....but I think it is possible.

And this whole thread started from a comment I made about Lozzi's Jake and off lead exercise. There I believe I said that many of the options that are open for high energy dogs that have to be kept on lead (such as biking, jogging, etc.) are not options for a young dog like Jake. Thus having no real outlet for his energy, and no suitable alternatives, wasn't going to be doing him or his behaviour any favours.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
And this whole thread started from a comment I made about Lozzi's Jake and off lead exercise. There I believe I said that many of the options that are open for high energy dogs that have to be kept on lead (such as biking, jogging, etc.) are not options for a young dog like Jake. Thus having no real outlet for his energy, and no suitable alternatives, wasn't going to be doing him or his behaviour any favours.
But onlead exercise can be a suitable alternative if done properly. Since you have never had the need to plan a stimulating onlead walk with a dog how could you know it can't fulfill them?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I would say that it really depends on the dog. I think we have to bear in mind various factors such as the individual dogs health, obedience etc. Some dogs shouldn't be allowed off lead in case it worsens certain health probs ie: Ozzy couldn't be for ages due to his cruciate problems. I understand some dogs will simply not recall to their owners and it would be foolhardy to allow such dogs off-lead if they are not obedient.

Marius gets off-lead exercise every day, he loves to gallop around the fields off-lead, chasing his ball or frisbee and exploring all over. I like to combine it with some obedience training so he gets his brain exercised too. He adores his free-running and I think his quality of life would not be as good just getting on-lead walks only. He also gets on-lead road walks too (we tend to do one off-lead and one on-lead at least each day)

Lola only gets a small on-lead walk currently because she is only 5mths old. She will get longer walks as she matures. Off-lead exercise will have to be restricted due to her being a Brachycephalic breed, they can over-heat easily in hot weather. Therefore she will be exercised early morning and later in evening to avoid warmer temps in summer. She definitely will be allowed off-lead on walks though, once she is more mature.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Yep - I know how it started

But....I happen to beleive that there are alternatives.....and I have watched it with young dogs who have (for health reasons) been unable to have any kind of off lead exercise.
It is not an easy route to go down - it involves alot of thinking on the part of the owner as to how to vary what the dog does and to challenge the dog mentally while still allowing it to 'be a dog'....but it IS possible.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yep - I know how it started

But....I happen to beleive that there are alternatives.....and I have watched it with young dogs who have (for health reasons) been unable to have any kind of off lead exercise.
It is not an easy route to go down - it involves alot of thinking on the part of the owner as to how to vary what the dog does and to challenge the dog mentally while still allowing it to 'be a dog'....but it IS possible.
Yep it is anything but the easy option.
Page 15 of 46 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »