Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
You win some you lose some!!
It's so hard when you are nervous, believe me I know. I am a rubbish handler cos I get so paranoid that people are watching me
She is very young and has a lot to learn, she'll get there and soon will be showing like a veteran, you'll see!
Do you take her to Ringcraft classes?
kerriestaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Weve been going to ringcraft since she was four months old, but we missed the last two because -one she was in season, the other we had just lost our GSD to cancer that day, so too upset to go. Its only on once a month and I have to travel 50miles to get there! I dont want to go to one of those mixed breed classes as I dont find them very tolerant of Staffies generally (not the ones near me anyway) Its hard to find the time to practise at home, and she usually is good when its one on one-its just the atmosphere and excietment that gets her going at a show She just wants to play and run about jumping up everyone (including Judge ) Hopefully she will settle down a bit as she gets older..but I am really thinking its me whos the problem-someone said that they thought she was taking the **ss out of me And that I sould tell her off!! But I cant bring myself to be cross with her, I want her to enjoy it-just have to stike the right balance..I really hate it when I see exhibitors being horrible to their dogs when they are playing up , but maybe I am too soft?
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, you'll get out of it what you put in! I go to an all breeds class because it's the closest and mine are no way the worst behaved there!!
You do have to let her know that you are the boss ,but, you mustn't make it an unpleasant experience for her or she'll just resent the whole thing. It is as you say all about the right balance of fun time and learning time.
To get her to show well, you have to practice little and often, every day but in short bursts that she gets TONS of praise for.
Don't get disheartened, she's only a baby.She'll get there
kerriestaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I think you are absolutely right Sian, I will find that bit of time to spend with her every day.
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Cool,hopefully see you at notts & D
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2