Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh blimey---I know you are but you are assuming that it will become a generalised behaviour----have you ever used one before?

rune
I have been involved in using one. And I would never use one again for that particular situation. It was messy.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Most dogs are not stupid and know when the collar is off and on. I know someone who uses e-collars for her dogs for humping and poo eating (don't get me started on that) and the dogs revert right back to doing it when they are not wearing them. They only mask the problem rather than cure it.
However, his drive to eat the faeces is so salient that he is oblivious to nearly everything else.
But has to be properly done like using any equipment.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
However, his drive to eat the faeces is so salient that he is oblivious to nearly everything else.
But has to be properly done like using any equipment.
I can assure you that my male Labrador was exactly the same at that age. I could go to one of local fields, walk all the way around, and he would still be at the entrance stuffing his face full of poo. I would have had a walk and he would have consumed more calories than he burnt off. It was THAT bad.

But as I said in a previous post, he got MUCH better naturally with age. Granted, all the other various teenage 'puppy' issues (recall, disobedience in general, hyperness, etc.) probably made the poo issue eating worse. Therefore, having a good level of training overall makes managing this problem much easier to deal with. A decent level of training obviously comes with age (an 8 month old puppy obviously isn't going to be awarding winning at obedience!) and maturity.

For me, using spray collars would be a last resort, primarily because I don't think they work effectively anyway long-term, but also because of the timing issue. I think using one on a puppy is unfair as you have not explored all avenues yet, nor have you given the pup a chance to mature naturally. I was unfortunate that my Labrador never completely grew out of this behaviour, but MANY do, so don't write your pup off yet.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
oh h you got my post wrong soz bout that

eta..... i dont have a boss lol
All vet nurses have a boss surely??? Maybe you're a vet now????!!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
.. but they are not 'set up' situations as in we dont decide the timing of the adversive (well shouldnt)
No not always. But that doesn't mean its wrong fundamentally. Training a dog is not a "natural" thing to do at all, but yet we still feel it beneficial to the dog somehow and we do it.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If it will ruin this thread I suggest if rune wants to we can discuss it on another thread.

Dog is eight months, so probably been trying for 6 months, tbh I think thats long enough.

Adam
Much as I hate to admit it, on this particular occasion, I have to agree with Adam

That doesn't make me believe in all Adams methods or approaches, certainly not, by the way, I just agree with him on this point.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Much as I hate to admit it, on this particular occasion, I have to agree with Adam

That doesn't make me believe in all Adams methods or approaches, certainly not, by the way, I just agree with him on this point.
How often have you used a collar Denise?

rune
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post

It is not safe to muzzle a dog overnight, in a crate or whilst at the kennels.

I had no idea that you where considering using a collar in a crate!!!!!

I agree with other posters that if your dog is still spoiling in a crate overnight, then your toilet training management needs to change somehow.

I certainly would not be using a collar in a cage or indeed in Kennels. If the dog needs to toilet in a confined space then it NEEDS to toilet in a confined space - instinctively it would not! You can not, humanely, use an aversive there.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
How often have you used a collar Denise?

rune
If you are talking citronella collars which I assume you are (?) then I have recommended them perhaps, (difficult to know for sure as I've never counted), but Id say 20 times (?). That's in all the dogs that CaDeLac has trained which is in excess I estimate of 10,000 dogs. So a pretty small percentage.

Personally used - once - and that was a poo eating problem which was cured in one spray.

The rest have been medical concern, diet(common), malnutrition, wait to see if he/she will grow out of it for a little while, or attention seeking mistraining, or failed leave mistraining, boredom (very common), innapropriate toilet training issues, poor garden poo management usually with boredom combined and the odd "freak" behaviour. All of these options are always considered/tried or ruled out before any aversion techniques are considered by CaDeLac.

To the best of my knowledge, a collar has never failed. But it is very rare that it ever has to be used either!!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for that.

rune
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »