Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Where I stand on APBT's is that they can be the lovely dogs in the right homes, but we now adays we would probally never see a APBT in the uk, just pit types, which can still be lovely dogs, in the right home, which is just like any dog really, they just need a owner who understands and them, and doesn't hide from what they were bred for, which is DA, and the majority in the fighting ring would not be allowed to bite a person, if they were they would be disposed off, which is really sad, a few got through that did bite people though, but I would say that a bully breed would normally be one of the most friendly types of dogs to people around. And I will be honest, and say that if everything in the uk changed, I would go out and get a Pit bull, I'm a distant admirer to them.

And do I think that PB's are dangerous, no more so then any other type of dog, and also what do people mean when they are saying that a dog is dangerous, is it a dog that has the intent to harm, or is it a dog that has the power to harm? because I would class it as the first, and to me I see many dangerous dogs, but they don't always have the power to do any real damage, so they are allowed to get away with it, I also see many powerful dogs, but most of these just want a cuddle and a play.

How we percieve dangerous is in the eye of each person, and a dog has more of a chance of being 'dangerous' if it was brought up and not properly socailised, and not given the things that most pets are given without their owners even thinking about it, things like the basic needs of food, water, shelter, and excercise, and then if a dog is not given enough of these and it bites someone around food, or in barrier fustration because they come into their garden or the dog just escapes and is over welmed with everything whose fault is that really? I know who I would blame.

There are also people breeding aggression into certain lines and breeds, maybe not intentionally, but maybe they are, just like certain traits can be bred into dogs, I believe that so can things like aggression if the dam and sire are not of good temperment, which is why everyone knows everywhere that you should look at the temperment of the dam and sire before you take a puppy, but in the uk people who breed pit types have gone underground, they are not selecting animals that have a good temperment, they are there to make money, they know what sells, and unfornatly we know what the majority of people do buy these dogs for.

So no, I don't believe that Pit bulls are dangerous, but I know that people are, and instead of realising that many reflect the blame onto the dog.
Good post imo, and completely agree. If section 1 ever gets scrapped, I'd def be in the line for an apbt. I've always wanted one, even as a kid, and was gutted to find out they were banned. I didn't agree with the logic of it, when I was 6, and agree even less now.

a
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Section 1 of the dda, has been ammended to include:

The breed/type known as the idiot/status dog owner.

Effective from midnight tonight it will be illegal for:

Any dog to live with and or be accompanied by, any human of the restricted breed/type that has not been added to the exemption index.

Any dog wishing to have their owner added to the exemption index must comply with the following:

1. The human must be castrated.
2. The human must have a microchip or tatoo. Microchips will be incerted under the skin, at the base of the neck, whilst the tatoo, will be located on the forhead.
3. The human must be kept gagged, handcuffed, and on a short lead whilst in any public place.

Note.

Any dog who believes they have an owner of the restricted type, have 3 months to apply for exemption status. Failure to apply within this time period will result in:

Your human siezed and destroyed, and the posability of up to 6 months in kennels for an offending dog.

After reading a certain person's other thread, and their post on here, I just couldn't resist.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post

Any dog to live with and or be accompanied by, any human of the restricted breed/type that has not been added to the exemption index.

Any dog wishing to have their owner added to the exemption index must comply with the following:

2. The human must have a microchip or tatoo. Microchips will be incerted under the skin, at the base of the neck, whilst the tatoo, will be located on the forhead.
3. The human must be kept gagged, handcuffed, and on a short lead whilst in any public place.

Note.

Any dog who believes they have an owner of the restricted type, have 3 months to apply for exemption status. Failure to apply within this time period will result in:

Your human siezed and destroyed, and the posability of up to 6 months in kennels for an offending dog.

After reading a certain person's other thread, and their post on here, I just couldn't resist.
hahahahaha love it and fits the profile of certain person
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Where I stand on APBT's is that they can be the lovely dogs in the right homes, but we now adays we would probally never see a APBT in the uk, just pit types, which can still be lovely dogs, in the right home, which is just like any dog really, they just need a owner who understands and them, and doesn't hide from what they were bred for, which is DA, and the majority in the fighting ring would not be allowed to bite a person, if they were they would be disposed off, which is really sad, a few got through that did bite people though, but I would say that a bully breed would normally be one of the most friendly types of dogs to people around. And I will be honest, and say that if everything in the uk changed, I would go out and get a Pit bull, I'm a distant admirer to them.

And do I think that PB's are dangerous, no more so then any other type of dog, and also what do people mean when they are saying that a dog is dangerous, is it a dog that has the intent to harm, or is it a dog that has the power to harm? because I would class it as the first, and to me I see many dangerous dogs, but they don't always have the power to do any real damage, so they are allowed to get away with it, I also see many powerful dogs, but most of these just want a cuddle and a play.

How we percieve dangerous is in the eye of each person, and a dog has more of a chance of being 'dangerous' if it was brought up and not properly socailised, and not given the things that most pets are given without their owners even thinking about it, things like the basic needs of food, water, shelter, and excercise, and then if a dog is not given enough of these and it bites someone around food, or in barrier fustration because they come into their garden or the dog just escapes and is over welmed with everything whose fault is that really? I know who I would blame.

There are also people breeding aggression into certain lines and breeds, maybe not intentionally, but maybe they are, just like certain traits can be bred into dogs, I believe that so can things like aggression if the dam and sire are not of good temperment, which is why everyone knows everywhere that you should look at the temperment of the dam and sire before you take a puppy, but in the uk people who breed pit types have gone underground, they are not selecting animals that have a good temperment, they are there to make money, they know what sells, and unfornatly we know what the majority of people do buy these dogs for.

So no, I don't believe that Pit bulls are dangerous, but I know that people are, and instead of realising that many reflect the blame onto the dog.
good post, i agree and i would love to have a APBT...

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Tis "cool" to have a pit LB, didnt you know?
oh silly me, i forgot

i bet thats exactly what it is, he think its cool and thats why he keeps telling everyone, i feel so so sorry for his poor pup.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:16 PM

Note.

Love it does the tatoo also have to read Idiot no#123
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Love it does the tatoo also have to read Idiot no#123
Of course.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Of course.
Can't wait
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-01-2010, 11:47 AM
If legalised id rush to get an American Staff, which in reality is a showline pitbull with most of the "gameness" bred out. i think bruce could have amstaff in him (didnt know much about them or the law before i rescued what was labelled a staffy mix) i am a lover of bullbreeds and an amstaff would quietly be my dog of choice.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
If legalised id rush to get an American Staff, which in reality is a showline pitbull with most of the "gameness" bred out. i think bruce could have amstaff in him (didnt know much about them or the law before i rescued what was labelled a staffy mix) i am a lover of bullbreeds and an amstaff would quietly be my dog of choice.
I've seen photos of Bruce on another forum, he's a gorgeous dog, I wouldn't be surprised if he had AmStaff in him either, but I would guess more Am Bull Where abouts did you get Bruce, I was looking at him again just now, and he looks a bit simalar to a Missy that I know down here.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I live in the US where this breed is legal, along with its AKC counterpart the American Staffordshire Terrier.

I have been around MANY examples of both breeds. I know personally people who are breeders of both APBTs, and AmStaffs. There is no issue with the breed, if, like many others, it is properly bred, socialized, trained, and confined.

The problem with this or any other breed begins when people breed it for the wrong reasons, sell it to the wrong people, and mis-manage it by failing to properly train or confine it.

My opinion is that when a dog does a wrong thing, it is never the dog to blame, but a person. The Breeder, the owner, someone is to blame for either not making the proper breeding choice, selling to the wrong people, neglecting to socialize or train the dog, or not properly confining it.

I will never hold with the banning of an entire breed of dog to make up for the actions of a few.

Just my one little opinion, as always.
Page 54 of 132 « First < 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 64 104 > Last »