Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by missy01 View Post

Being from the States i don't think you understand what a problem the whole Chav culture is over here. AP's are a lot bigger and stronger than Staffs.

We imported it from the States.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I actually think the reason there are so many Staffs in homes is because they can be bought very cheaply, are adorable as puppies and do not grow too big.
What a lot of people don't realise is that they are really strong and will take literally take you for a walk if not trained properly. They are also bored easily so if left alone can be very destructive. A neighbour of mine came home once to be greeted by her Staff at the front door - it had been shut in the kitchen when she left, she had a nice Staffy sized whole in the wall.
But the main reason is that they can be very dog agressive, after one instance of this happenning they get put in a home.
Ap's have all these traits - multiplied.
I take on board your view, however I have personal experience of a lab who chewed through plasterboard walls, and badly attacked other dogs, there are many threads on here about breeds other than staffys taking their owners for walks and needing to be carefully managed due to dog aggressive traits (some breeds being a similar size and weight to the APT)

Yes the pups can be bought relatively cheaply and this is definitely a lure for people but lets not forget a fair amount of these chavs, thugs, whatever, have access to money from unsavoury practices, or also the dogs they use are not pedigree either by staffy UKKC) or PIT (AKC) they are just diluted bitzas with a specific look/type
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Do you think the ban on pit bulls has helped the staffie crisis?
Absolutely not.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:13 PM
i think this is one thread where people will never agree. Personally I do think PB's are dangerous, my dog has been attacked on two separate occasions by PB 'types' and I have also seen a yorkie be killed by two of them.
This is not to say I have anything against sensible owners of Staffies, but to make PB's legal in the Uk would, in my opinion be a bad move, and dangerous to society because of the scum who would want to own them.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Many laws are stupid, but they are laws, and when we break them we are breaking the law""
ive often broken stupid laws, thasts what stupid laws are their for

says he spliffing up watching his downloaded DVD typing on a forum Tony Blair was a war crim, he should have been shot!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Do you think the ban on pit bulls has helped the staffie crisis?
Not at all,however had the pitt been legal here would we having been seeing alot of pitts and there x's in rescue in stead of the SBT and it's x's ?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:17 PM
i think this is one thread where people will never agree. Personally I do think PB's are dangerous, my dog has been attacked on two separate occasions by PB 'types' and I have also seen a yorkie be killed by two of them.
This is not to say I have anything against sensible owners of Staffies, but to make PB's legal in the Uk would, in my opinion be a bad move, and dangerous to society because of the scum who would want to own them.
They already do,they also know where to get these dogs from too.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:19 PM
So now it is not even down the the question of if Pit bulls are dangerous, it is about shelter issues, oh please!!
A dog breed being extinguished due to that reason is ridiculous. A breed should not be banned because of over population, if so the reasons some have given here makes it sound like the SBT breed should be on the list too
Do you know how much time and money have been spent on trying to enforce this legislation, bucket loads, if they redirected it to shelters or educating the public about over population I think you would be surprised about how much better use the money and resources could be used for.
Carrying on about, it doesn't matter it is illegal to own one, that is not the point of the debate. It is a case of are they more dangerous instead it is for shelter issues. Sounds like DDA should start banning more dogs then as banning PBT hasn't solved this issue either
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 03:21 PM
AP's would add to this.
We are not talking about introducing a new breed. We are talking about legalising a breed that is here already...always has been.

Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
They aren't banned though are they, perfectly legal here.

http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtrescue/

Look at the photo's on that page - I can find more if you wish..
The link leads to a case of animal cruelty. It's got nothing to do with breed, pit bull, BSL or dog-fighting.

If you think that BSL (which doesn't touch on animal cruelty in any way whatsoever) has reduced abuse cases I'd love to see some evidence.

How can you honestly hand on your heart state this wouldn't be happening on a much larger scale if Pit Bulls were made legal.
Has it reduced since '91 when the DDA came into force? I don't think so and I find the idea that people who want to be cruel to a dog will not do so because pit bulls are illegal to be implausible.

It's going on with Staffords, every single day of the week 365 days a year - many are put to sleep on an everyday basis because spaces cannot be found for them as ALL rescues are FULL to the point of exploding. Before I agreed with any repeal of the DDA I'd like to see the mess in Rescues, cleared considerably - there's nothing wrong with wanting to see that happen.
You didn't tackle my earlier question.

If the homeless dog crisis is sufficient justification for a pit bull ban, why isn't it sufficient for a staffie ban as well? Or perhaps you think it is?

Besides pit bulls and what the DDA bans are two different things.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Wow you're a friendly one there Jack. I do fight our laws here, so thanks. And I'm allowed to have an opinion on your law. I have plenty of friends in the UK who disagree with the law and would love to own an pit bull if they could. I have one friend who has a dog she got as a puppy from a Staffy rescue who she's pretty sure is actually a pit bull and she's in constant fear that someone will take the dog away from her. She has a lot of mental problems and the dog has become a sort of therapy dog for her.

We are a funny old breed us Brits, be tend to get a bit defensive when we are criticised, we tend not to be to friendly when someone calls us or our laws "stupid" you may have a few friends here, who agree with you, but it is not the majority , the majority of the UK, when called "stupid" will give back what we get!!

Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
How do you know this? Are you psychic?
Are you,?? how do you know it wont??
Page 104 of 132 « First < 4 54 94 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 114 > Last »