View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
The trouble is the owner has to inform the breeder that the dog is no longer wanted... you cant blame a breeder if the owner does not inform them they need to re home the dog.

Endorsements are good , but they dont stop people breeding from said pups, micro chipping may be the way forward, but I certainly would not class a breeder who does not micro chip their pups , as bad, if they ticked all the other boxes when finding home for their pups.
Couldnt have said it better myself

Folk who "want rid" dont want the bother of contacting the breeder, its much easier/no questions asked to put into rescue. Some of the time all you want to do is get the dog/pup out of the situation its in rather than delve into where it came from [who bred it] originally
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by josshun View Post
wont be sorry if i upset any one that has a dog like that
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
Not Everyone is perfect or are you????????
That is my business, my point is I have a breed that is cross bred from various breeds and the thread starter clearly states in broken english that she wont be upset if she upsets people who own such dogs. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less what she thinks but that does not make such ignorant attitudes acceptable. Why should someone feel guilt over their choice of dog or how they choose to spend their own money. I work hard for my money and will spend it how I wish.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
and I am not getting into any arguments, if that is what you are after, I have said by piece and will not be back to this thread.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I don't think people are bad for not wanting dogs that are not show quality. As long as the dogs they have are wanted and if not find them suitable homes, just as the breeder would.
That being said I don't show so I don't fully understand, but that only makes us different not bad or good right or wrong. The only way that would make it good/bad, right/wrong is if you didn't care what happened to the dog because it didn't meet your standards and end up in a shelter for that reason.
Quite agree. My dogs are my babies first and foremost. If show wins meant more to me than them I would have gotten rid of Rio as she is too fine boned really, but I love her no matter what and she is my baby.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I disagree, saying first cross is a way of describing a dog, Honey is a first cross of a Saluki and Greyhound, there is no breeding plan, but one parent was a Greyhound, one was a Saluki, I say first cross as even if two dogs of the same mix were crossed they may not look like her, and tbh first cross is just a easy way to describe her if people ask, although if people ask about Diesel I just say 3/4 Grey, 1/4 GSD, as I can't be bothered to go into any more further then that (but there was a breeding plan in Diesel, may not of been for the best, but thats another story).
Do you think it could be said that your Honey is actually a Lurcher - I believe that very often they are crosses with Salukies and greyhounds or whippets. In my book there are some lovely first crosses and some great mixes. The thing to do, I believe, is not to be fooled into paying over the odds for a mixed breed dog which has no papers and is unregisterable. When I say this I do not intend to offend anybody - it is just a fact that if the dog is a purebred the registration and paperwork govern the price people ask for the pup.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Do you think it could be said that your Honey is actually a Lurcher - I believe that very often they are crosses with Salukies and greyhounds or whippets. In my book there are some lovely first crosses and some great mixes. The thing to do, I believe, is not to be fooled into paying over the odds for a mixed breed dog which has no papers and is unregisterable. When I say this I do not intend to offend anybody - it is just a fact that if the dog is a purebred the registration and paperwork govern the price people ask for the pup.
Honey is a longdog a dog which is crossed between two sighthounds is called a Longdog, and Lurcher is a dog that is crossed between a sighthound and another type of dog, commonly a working or terrier breed.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:41 PM
We met someone with a huge cross-breed today and it had a curly coat and was a similar colour to my Kerry Blues. I aske the owner what it was and she said Labradoodle but she had never seen one the same colour as hers. I said that all the Labradoodles I had seen looked different.

When we walked away my husband, a non-doggy person, said he reckoned she had been taken for a ride as it didn't look like a Labradoodle at all! We thought it was a Poodle cross Irish Wolfhound as it was the size of a wolfhound and the grey colour of ones we see on the heath regularly!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2010, 07:54 PM
My collies have all been farm-bred (NB - on farms, NOT puppy farms). Not one one of them had a pedigree, but all three were purebred BCs. I refer to the farmers that sold them to me as "breeders" (note inverted commas) because the pups were not deliberate littluns, but just the "accidental byproducts" of the pre-existing farm woofers.

The farmer from whom I got Kali and Snorri admitted to me that he had drowned the first litter, which had made him feel so guilty that he swore that all future pups would get homes - and, to the best of my knowledge, he did just that - there are Kali relatives in Southampton!

It doesn't bother me one whit that Thorgeir has no pedigree - he is a handsome dog, with a great nature: I love him, he appears to love me, and that's all that matters.

Snorri
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Firstly we have a Labradoodle and a Goldendoodle; we know they are not technically a breed nor KC registered but wouldn't want them to be. The appeal to us and many doodle owners is that there isn't a breed specific so they don't all look the same like Labradors or other breeds. We have had several Labs, lots of crossbreeds and mongrels as well as pedigrees over the years, but chose doodles because they are quirky and different yet still have similar temperaments to Labs in our 2's cases. The main thing is that our dogs were chosen by us and are loved, well cared for and get a loving home for life!We got them from breeders who healthchecked and used good breeding stock and paid what we thought was reasonable. Rubyy doesn't moult but Dyson does a bit. Right, we don't agree with the falacy that they don't moult; we wouldn't get a pup from a disreputable breeder; we don't want a pedigree this time... neither do we, as individuals like the rudeness of people who think they are right and we are wrong; people who moan about the price we paid for our dogs or our choice of dog. I don't personally like the designer dog label or the fact that these sily names have got out of hand and now people are jumping on the bandwagon to make a quick buck. What really annoys me is that some people feel they have the right to say how much people should pay for their dogs etc and are very rude about crossbreeds. I love several breeds/types of dogs and there are some that we would not have BUT I don't go round forums making comments about what choices other people make about their pets, breeders, price of pet etc. Believe me, if I put what I thought about some breeds on here I would be banned - but I have RESPECT FOR OTHERS...TRY IT!!!
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
People that cannot spell in this day and age boil my blood also!!!!
Are you bigotted or just bad mannered? The OP could have Dyslexia as many people do; they could have learning disabilities or have not had a good education. Manners don't cost anything and I am appalled that such a narrow-minded thoughtless comment was put on a public forum.
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 50 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »