Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Stalking, Do your dogs do this?

Star likes to lie down in the long grass and crawl on his belly and hide until one of the others come walking past then he will dive out at them. Skye also does this but she is spotted quickly. Coco also does this and is another spotted right off. Storm never did this nor has Jake. Junoir another lab i know does not do it either.

So my question is this, Do a lot of dogs do this, is storm the norm or are the 3 loons the norm. Could it be a genetic thing as Star, and Coco are brother and sister and Skye shares a grandparent.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Star likes to lie down in the long grass and crawl on his belly and hide until one of the others come walking past then he will dive out at them. Skye also does this but she is spotted quickly. Coco also does this and is another spotted right off. Storm never did this nor has Jake. Junoir another lab i know does not do it either.

So my question is this, Do a lot of dogs do this, is storm the norm or are the 3 loons the norm. Could it be a genetic thing as Star, and Coco are brother and sister and Skye shares a grandparent.
I'm sure it is genetic. It's a hunting technique that has been selected for in the some of the herding breeds where it's known as 'crouch.'

Mine don't do it, or least not very much but I've seen many Border Collies do it in play as well as work.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Mine don't do it, or least not very much but I've seen many Border Collies do it in play as well as work.
My BC does it in play as well as when he is working. My GSD tends to be the prey rather than the predator , I am not sure I have ever seen her doing it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Cassie does this to Georgie, or some other dogs when we're out, but then I'm sure she's a collie in disguise! She's like the Pink Panther sometimes, the way she stops and holds one front leg up, and walks slowly towards her prey! Georgie never does it
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Jake does it to Charlie.... Charlie is always first to the ball when playing fetch, Jake has sussed this, so now when I throw the ball, Charlie runs to get it and Jake stalks in the long grass and tries to pounce and take it off him before he can return it to me
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Jake is Stars prey, i have a picture i will post of him in stalking postion but Storm finding him
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Mine do it to each other when they are playing in the long grass
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Fudge does this all the time. When she sees another dog coming she drops down and wriggles then freezes. Then she repeats it over again until they have met. Her eyes never leave the dog for a moment.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Willow does this when she sees birds nearby.... like she ever has a chance of catching one.
Archie has picked up on her bird chasing habit, but he's straight in there running after them, no time for this stalking lark as far as he's concerned.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Ozzy used to do this a lot when he was younger. If you threw a toy for him he would 'freeze' whilst staring at it,then slowly crawl up inch by inch before 'pouncing' on it. It is a shame he grew out of it as I used to love watching him!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >