register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm doing everything thats been said to me Brenda,would have liked to get her to a holisitic vet, but probably have got better advice on here really. Just want to get her past all this and back to her normal self. Hoping it doesn't impact on her hip scores, I was going to take her for them around now, but will have to leave it a few months now.
On checking sardines I have found they have 3% less protein than tuna or white fish, so that is what she is having tonight with veg and a small baked potato scraped out and with the skin on it. Would have thought sardines would have been higher than tuna, checked the mackerel and it is 34%
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Why are you looking at protein? You should be looking at calcium which is in the bones of any fish. Even small bones that are in fish. So maybe boneless tuna. Or coley if you want to feed fish. Personally I wouldn't change any of her diet. Just restrict some of the normal exercise but swim more.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 07:18 PM
I thought it was protein I was looking at as well as cutting out bones, cottage cheese and yogurt. Also I've cut her meat ration down and bulked up with veg and potato
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 07:20 PM
June not sure if I sent this link if not just found it see the bit about cut down the bone content but not necessary eliminate it.
http://leerburg.com/pano.htm
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 07:24 PM
This is why I wanted to talk to a Holistic vet as I'm reading lots of contradictory things and my heads spinning.
I've seen that article already, which is what made me cut down on the protein as well and bulk her up with things you normally wouldn't feed so she would lose weight. Thing is I was actually thinking she needed to put some on as her backbone is very prominent, might be just her, but I would never ever say she was overweight one bit, so its all a bit of a jumble of what I'm reading and what I'm observing on her.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 07:26 PM
I know I can imagine. Sometimes you can do so much research and get so confused.
That link says a good orthopedic vet but it all costs money too.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2016, 08:09 PM
June you must just stick to one person or book that you have read. Too much info can be confusing which is why when owners come to us for training they must stick to what we advise and not read or watch other programmes as they do conflict. At the end of the day it is the owners choice but if it were me I would as I said just stick to the diet you were feeding and a little less exercise.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2016, 08:16 PM
OK, so what about bone, at the moment unless she gets the bit someone's left or the bones in sardines, she's not having any, as I'm usually feeding white fish or tuna. As I said I cut out cottage cheese and yogurt as well because of the calcium factor
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Evening all,
TW, could you call the vets and see if the email was received??? Could have gone into spam or not been read for whatever reason.....what about a F***book page...do they have one of those??
Brenda, sorry about your daughters dog
Been and drank my vimto lol..everyone was asking when I was taking Steve down and my dad got all arsey....I asked did he not want to meet him and he just blanked me, I got home and asked my mum what the problem was??? She said to take no notice of him, the only thing he had asked was how old he was.....mum said 46 and my dad went for gods sake, mum said well how old do you think your daughter is??? She is nearly 37, and do you not think she deserves some happiness?? Mum said if it is the lad I am thinking of he seems nice enough...she has just told me not to worry about it, it is no one's business but mine and if she paid attention to half of what my dad said she would spend most of her life in tears
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Hi June I will get back to you in the morning after I have read up on canine nutrition by Lowell Ackerman.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >