Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:44 AM

People with smallish dogs!

Hello all
People with smallish dogs (about beagle size down), what kind of dog do you have, and what are they like energy wise etc?

Juuust gathering some info......
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey i have a beagle

Energy wise, she will walk forever if you needed her to, but is also quite content snoozing for a good part of the day.

At this moment she is on the back of the sofa snoring, i am about to wake her to take her out for a walk (how dare i!) she hasent been out yet today so i guess that says alot......
kirstyS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Very small Jack Russell - high energy!
Sorgina
New Member!
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Shih Tzu's high energy until I want them to do something
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys!
Basically (some of you may know) I am thinking of getting another dog in a few months time if circumstances allow it, but would like it to match alfie's energy and general size, as it would just make things easier

Alfie being half JRT could go on for agggges just walking, but if he does a lot of running it does tire him out lol. 45 mins - an hour in the park can tire him, but he can walk for a good 3 or so hours if we decide to go out for the day

Just having a think which breeds would suit
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Well I used to have Cairn Terriers. They are the loveliest little dogs. A few members on here have them. As far as mine were concerned they were quite happy to romp about in the garden all day equally they could go for miles walking.
Loving and affectionate. My last little chap died last June and I miss him so much. Living out here though I wouldn't get another Cairn. Good luck with your choice.x
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, I have 4 smallish breeds, and my sister has 2.. I have 2 Mini Dachshunds, whom are good for a romp and play, but just as happy to snuggle and sleep. They are considered quite active, and need a fair amount of exercise to keep trim.

I have a Lhasa Apso x Bichon, who could spend literally HOURS out for a walk, but happy to snooze in the house, Although, I'm not positive if she would be naturally like this, as her fears and paranoia come into play.

I have a Terrier mix, not sure what her mix is, (about 15" high, longer legs than back, long coat, white with ticking, deaf) but again, happy to romp and play, but snuggles in the house... not a really high energy dog, though as she likes a walk, but not a run.

My sister has a Westie. A tough, sporting little girl, always happy for a game and a run, always hunting up things to do, but fairly calm in the house

her other dog is possibly a Carin terrier x travelling salesman. He's high energy, but if kept properly exercised, he's a total love in the house.

We have 6 totally different dogs, yet they're all pretty much the same in energy levels, though the younger crew is def. more up for a game than the older crew... the only true high energy dog who has a hard time settling is Oliver, who is not a small dog.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 01:46 PM
The vallhunds will happily go walking all day, or they'll be happy with half an hour in the park.

The spitz can go walking all day but tend to start protesting after a few hours. However, unlike the valls who are happy to just be with you lazing about the house and garden the spitz tend to turn the entire house into a race track if they don't get out reguarly
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone
I plan to rescue, so it is nice hearing different things about different breeds in case one comes up!
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a border terrier x JRT and she is probably the laziest dog on the planet! I have no idea if this is a border terrier trait or a JRT trait or just a Poppy trait but she would rather veg on the sofa than go for a walk. She is a real couch potato!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >