View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:07 PM

He follows me everywhere. How do i stop him?

My 10 week old Jack Russell will sit when told, will lay down when told and will stay when told. When you say "nuts" he will roll on his back for you. He is a very quick learner and will follow me everywhere i go which means i cant even go to the toilet without him by my foot. I dont want to discourage this behaviour but i would like to be able to leave the room without him sometimes.
I am not really sure about the clicker training as, although i've read all the articles, i still dont really understand it. Do you click your fingers or do you make a click noise!?!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Get a baby gate

I don't clicker train but the click noise is made by the "clicker" itself, which is a small box. I am sure someone will be along shortly to tell you the best way to clicker train.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
here this page explains a bit about clicker training hope it helps

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp5...training.shtml

sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks that sounds great.

Where can i get a clicker?
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by sanchez
Thanks that sounds great.

Where can i get a clicker?
Any petshop or online, they are everywhere at the moment
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats great thank tou so much
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh, bless him, he's only 10 weeks old and you are his world - of course he's going to follow you everywhere!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Sanchez it is normal behaviour for a puppy to follow you everywhere, a puppy would naturally follow its dam around for protection. As your puppy grows and increases in confidence it will learn that when you leave your will always return and it will not mind being left.

As you are in the process of houstraining your puppy you will be observing him for signs of wanting to go out (sniffing/circling) and you need to be with him to do this. If you are not with him he is best confined to one room like the kitchen (as I explained in Houstraining link I posted yesterday).

If you wish to leave him alone wait until he has been out to relieve himself then put him in his bed with a toy, do this without any fuss then leave the room closing the door.

Stay out of the room for just a couple of minutes then return and ignore the puppy so your coming and going is no big thing . You can increase the time you stay out of the room remembering all the time not to make a fuss when you leave or return. You should not leave him for long while houstraining, if you do he will have accidents.

If you are interested in clicker training this Article by one of our members is excellent.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=11324
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:27 PM
I love it cos he snuggles up to me when he sleeps and picks up one bit of dry food and comes and eats it over my foot then goes and gets another one. He is gorgeous bless him :smt049