Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Bloat

#2 killer in dogs..... Somebody. Anybody please tell me about it if you're familiar I really need some closure on the loss of my youngest and best dog at a year old.....

‎"The technical name for bloat is "Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus" ("GDV"). Bloating of the stomach is often related to swallowed air (although food and fluid can also be present). It usually happens when there's an abnormal accumulation of air, fluid, and/or foam in the stomach ("gastric dilatation"). Stress can be a significant contributing factor also. Bloat can occur with or without "volvulus" (twisting). As the stomach swells, it may rotate 90° to 360°, twisting between its fixed attachments at the esophagus (food tube) and at the duodenum (the upper intestine). The twisting stomach traps air, food, and water in the stomach. The bloated stomach obstructs veins in the abdomen, leading to low blood pressure, shock, and damage to internal organs. The combined effect can quickly kill a dog."

I believe this is the cause....
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Cant help but its something i fear with My Boxer ..
More help with be along as the dogsey family have lost a few members to bloat ..
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I believe deep chested dogs are more prone to bloat,i have a greyhound and a lurcher.

I do feed from raised bowls although i believe this is a contentious issue and some say is not necessary.

I always exercise at least an hour before or after feeding

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog you must be devastated
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
The two signs I got as to why I believe it was bloat.

#1 ""we've had several reports that dogs who bloated asked to go outside in the middle of the night. If this is combined with frequent attempts to vomit, and if your dog doesn't typically ask to go outside in the middle of the night, bloat is a very real possibility."

Roush asked to go outside around 4am and woke me up so I took him out back and we hung out for a good 10 minutes then we went back inside and went to sleep. I woke up that morning and fed him as usual then headed into work. When I got home he was already dead. He never tried to vomit when we went outside though.... He never wakes me up to go to the bathroom although he is only a year old. He lived less then a week after his first birthday so routine can always change with dogs age..

#2 "Dog shows, mating, whelping, boarding, change in routine, new dog in household, etc.
Although purely anecdotal, we've heard of too many cases where a dog bloated after another dog (particularly a 3rd dog) was brought into the household; perhaps due to stress regarding pack order."

We had just got back from an event Sunday morning around 1am and he had been working cattle, baying hogs, treeing racoons, blood trailing etc.... All with many other dogs around. Not his first rodeo either....

I also just started fostering Autumn about three weeks ago or less but Roush is around many dogs and always more then 3-4 dogs in the household at times. He got along really well with Autumn it's Shelby that is still trying to take to Autumn. Both females I assume why.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:21 PM
My dogs have grey hound in them.... Roush was deep chested. Grey hound, sighthound & grey wolf or coyote...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Did you notice if your dog look bloated?
From what i've read, they may belch alot, pant alot, look very uncomfortable and their stomach becomes hard and distended, amongst other things.

It's something I fear with my GWPx as he has an extremely deep chest, more pronounced than usual for his breeding.
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Did you notice if your dog look bloated?
From what i've read, they may belch alot, pant alot, look very uncomfortable and their stomach becomes hard and distended, amongst other things.

It's something I fear with my GWPx as he has an extremely deep chest, more pronounced than usual for his breeding.
I never had a warning sign.... I checked all the symptoms and the only two that I could really find that apply to Roush are the two I stated... He never looked bloated. Never showed me anything other then his normal self.... Will the bloating go down after death? Could explain why he didn't look bloated when I got home.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I know many people believe feeding kibble can be a factor in bloat due to the kibble swelling in the stomach,my friend lost a pup due to it eating some of her other dogs "diet" kibble which unfortunately swelled up more due to it being a diet kibble (to make the dog feel fuller apparently) she didn't know the pup had eaten it
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I'd like to know the answer to your last question as well, having woken up to find one of my dogs dead with no apparent cause. A friend lost her dog to bloat but he hadn't eaten anything for over 24 hours. That dog had 2 siblings and his dam succumb to bloat as well.

There are still so many questions with GDV.

Sorry for your loss.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by twix View Post
I'd like to know the answer to your last question as well, having woken up to find one of my dogs dead with no apparent cause. A friend lost her dog to bloat but he hadn't eaten anything for over 24 hours. That dog had 2 siblings and his dam succumb to bloat as well.

There are still so many questions with GDV.

Sorry for your loss.
Makes you wonder if its gene/heritary related in some way doesn't it ?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >